Dealing with bad breakdowns

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by 727Guy, Oct 17, 2018.

1. 727Guy

727Guy Light Load Member

Aug 4, 2018
    From what I've described, do you think something of this sort can have a temporary fix or bypass? I'd really prefer to have the truck back until the new parts arrived if it doesn't jeopardize another problem.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pushbroom

pushbroom Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    From your description i would think so.
    But they may be more going on or some misunderstandings between you and the service depo

Its hard to say for sure from this far away.
    I would like to say its fishy, but having not seen it anything is possible.
    I dont want to throw anyone under the bus but it is odd

4. 727Guy

727Guy Light Load Member

Aug 4, 2018
    I should've posted my issue on here before even taking it to Peterbilt. Some of you guys absolutely *know* your stuff.

5. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Still 8 weeks is crazy. By Monday morning I can have pretty much anything for a 93 ch mack (yea how many of those do you still see) tell petercar that's unacceptable even 2 weeks is pushing it

727Guy Thanks this.
  6. Ezrider_48501

Ezrider_48501 Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    i replaced the entire engine harness on my truck and i had to order it from mack and it had to be made and i am pretty sure i had it in 4-5 days. it was a couple years ago now so i don't remember exactly but i know for sure it wasn't more than a week. it seems like i ordered it on a Monday and had it on Friday. my truck wasn't down just a bunch of random codes coming and going. so i didn't get it over night delivery. sometimes the dealers can push your parts order ahead of others on back ordered parts if your truck is down.

seems strange that your abs harness would cause all your gauges to shut down. i think i would need a pretty good explanation from the dealer to believe that diagnosis.

727Guy Thanks this.
  7. 727Guy

727Guy Light Load Member

Aug 4, 2018
    That's completely understandable. But I have zero say over how long it takes for Paccar to make and distribute a certain part for my truck. Yeah it's a Hell of a wait time, but it's not like I can just go there and force them to hurry up. HAha! As much as I want to

8. 727Guy

727Guy Light Load Member

Aug 4, 2018
    I'm praying for the best. Guy at the shop told me from 1 to 8 weeks. I departed Houston Saturday the 13th in a rental and drove to JAX FL to pick up a loaner truck. So hopefully mine is ready this Saturday. If it isn't ready, then I've already obtained both part numbers and will be calling dealership after dealership in search of both parts until my fingers fall off.

9. pushbroom

pushbroom Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Older peterbilt harness can have a crazy long lead time. Not out of the ordinary

727Guy Thanks this.
  10. 727Guy

727Guy Light Load Member

Aug 4, 2018
    Mine is only a 2012. Not like it's a 1990 or something.

11. Ezrider_48501

Ezrider_48501 Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    i haven't delt with peterbilt dealers much and certainly not on anything that was back ordered or out of stock, but you may be able to twist there arm and get them to expedite your parts ahead of others. if it was me and i couldn't get the harness for a 2-4 weeks id be going threw the harness finding where it was shorted/broken butt splicing baling wire and duct tape the thing back together and run till the new one came in then replace it.

daf105paccar and 727Guy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.