Dealing With Glare When Driving at Night?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by terryg247, Sep 9, 2022.

1. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    That's too funny because I do the same thing! I also have a 12v boat spot light for direct, up close and personal aggression as well.

RubyEagle Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    It's funny that you mention that because I have that issue .. and it's happened to me before .. it's a scary feeling when your riding down the road and suddenly your Ronny Millsap
    I have to be extra careful not to rub my eyes or extra cautious about jumping
    I switch brands of contacts and that really helped.. I have had good luck with biofinity contacts

Blue jeans, MACK E-6 and Suspect Zero Thank this.
  4. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    I'm 62 and wear glasses. I have since I was 8. I accidently discovered that my current prescription pair are fairly bad with nighttime glare. Fortunately, have my previous pair with me and they are much better at night. So, for nighttime driving I wear my older pair. I don't know if you weat glasses, but if so, it's possible they could be part of the problem. Just compare the glare you see with your glasses than without them. If you don't wear glasses, IDK.
    I used to love nighttime driving in a 4 wheeler and it still doesn't bother me to drive a 4 wheeler at night. But, really don't care for nighttime driving in a rig. You just don't see enough for my comfort. I'm sure part of it is because of my age. Not much to do about that. Getting older beats the alternative.

Blue jeans, trapart and The_vett Thank this.
  5. bonder45

bonder45 Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Williston, ND
    One of my good friends is 26 and after years of struggling with nighttime driving he finally found putting a super light tint, something like 90% on his windshield made it so you can finally drive at night.

Siinman Thanks this.
  6. ground shaker

ground shaker Bobtail Member

Feb 26, 2013
    southwest va.
    Been driving for 45 1/2 years have been wearing glasses since 6 years old .
    Have a Cataract on left eye and built up scar tissue due to getting steel in my pupil.
    I have anti glare lenses an 50 percent window tint . ( Can still see without rolling window at night to backup.lol )
    I've always used anti glare red lights shining down above windshield helps in rain at night.
    Been running fog lights for 35 years the yellow light helps with the blue light coming from these new headlights. That's what helps me .
    5 more years , I'm done.
    Keep on Trucking . The Lord's Blessing me .
    Only 1 accident in that period of driving.

7. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Some drivers, a few years ago, had colored lights inside their own truck turned on at night to help with glare. I think there were called Party Lights. Think of having a red or purple dome light in your truck turned on while driving. It's not as common to see the party lights now as 10 or more years ago.

8. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

That is my experience with Rain-X. Others have reported that the glare is often due to not sufficiently cleaning the glass before applying Rain-X. I just stopped using the Rain-X due to the glare.

Suspect Zero and The_vett Thank this.
  9. supergreatguy

supergreatguy Road Train Member

Nov 26, 2020
    Red lights in the cab always helped me, put light strips under the bunk rim and seats

Suspect Zero Thanks this.
  10. BlueThunderr

BlueThunderr Medium Load Member

Sep 11, 2012
    are these red lights that you use on the outside or inside of your truck ?

11. BlueThunderr

BlueThunderr Medium Load Member

Sep 11, 2012
    I use the night vision yellow glasses and they definitely help cut the glare down...I have gotten headaches on occasion also from headlights...A few times I have actually put on my daytime sunglasses...They do block everything out but make it very difficult to see...One time though I had such a headache I had to wear them for a while...I think that was on one of those stretches of highways where people refuse to shut their high beams off....I also turn my mirrors out or up like constantly when I'm driving.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.