Decision,Decisions

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by TheyCallMeDave, Feb 8, 2018.

1. KaoMinerva

KaoMinerva Transcendent God

Feb 5, 2016
    So they were just being lazy and didn't want to do it is what you're telling me?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    I'm greedy and try to get every penny I can.
    But there's no way I would give up your day time
    Gig for a few more bucks to be stuck on the night shift.
    I'll take less money for the day shift.

4. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    cheap. that kinda software costs.....

5. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    We’ve had a few day linehaul runs appear, but they never last.

The last one to get cancelled ran about 4 years. We have none anymore.

6. 2BucTruck

2BucTruck Medium Load Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Eastern USA - Go Bucs!
    It's probably worse to have them at one point and then cancel them, than to never have had them at all. What a tease.

7. HoustonTrucker

HoustonTrucker Light Load Member

Mar 22, 2015
    Hell id stay on that daytime run and just pick up an extra Saturday or Sunday run once or twice a month if you want to pick up some extra income. I have a 640+ mile run and id strongly consider giving it up for a 500+ mile daytime run.

8. 2BucTruck

Jun 7, 2014
    Eastern USA - Go Bucs!
    Yeah, that's pretty much what I've been doing. I figure even if I'd work every weekend, which I wouldn't, it'd make up for not feeling tired often on night shift or having to lose part of my first day off due to napping. The actual nights don't bother me. It's the flipping of my sleep schedule on the weekends for the family. Some drivers manage being tired better than others. I can get emotionally sloppy on just a few hours of sleep... :confused:

9. bentstrider83

bentstrider83 Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    A strict, night-time run, no bouncing between day and night, would definitely make me go over to the linehaul side in a heartbeat. But, like some of my other posts have suggested, the thought of dealing with the extremes of the extra-board(dayshift one day, night the next, and so on/so forth) kind of made me chicken out of from the ODFL posting I was about to get onto.
    I feel I nuked the bridge on that one due to not calling the guy back. Might just have to either make up a story about why I ghosted myself, or just apply to a different, ODFL terminal with linehaul/wild-driver openings.
    At the end of the night, I just want to bring the whole, "work-a-holic" syndrome of the state of my career to a close. No family or significant other for me to concern myself with, but I've always wanted to spend more time with "the crew", or get into medieval LARPing/Society for Creative Anachronism on the side.

10. 2BucTruck

Jun 7, 2014
    Eastern USA - Go Bucs!
    Unless I'm confusing you with someone else, I think I responded before to you specifically that there is no swing shift with ODFL wild drivers. You are not on call like how some other LTLs handle wild or extraboard drivers. You always work the same days of the week and are then given a window of a few hours at the beginning of your week to get your first dispatch. After day one of your work week, you are then ready to roll when your 10 is up. It's pretty straightforward. No swing shift. No being on call. You always work the same days and have the same days off for your weekend.

Bob Dobalina Thanks this.
  11. bentstrider83

bentstrider83 Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    I guess I'll bring this up next time I reapply myself. In a diplomatic way of course. Don't want to rustle any unneeded Jimmies.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.