Deck shiming

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by Driver312, Sep 25, 2019.

1. Driver312

Driver312 Bobtail Member

Sep 25, 2019
    Hello Fellows,

I have been reading this forum for a while and got a lot of good info. I have been searching this forum to get an answer for my question but couldn't. My apology if this question has been already answered. I'm running 55 ton trailer and planing to purchase 60T. I see a lot of them have modular deck. My question is when do you shim? I do understand to create and arch to transfer more weight too...? that is my kind of question. Any input will be appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Landincoldfire

Landincoldfire Heavy Load Member

Sep 27, 2015
    New Holland, Pa
    I'm sure others will chime in as time allows. I've found with the trailers I use that each model seems to differ enough that there doesn't seem to be a standard formula.

When we get a new trailer. Say faymonville for example. They come with books to get the new owner on right track. (Their gooseneck 4 axle is a pain in the bottom to configure.) Otherwise I ask someone who has pulled it and we do keep a data base to refer to for each trailer.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  4. 1805

1805 Bobtail Member

Nov 23, 2018
    Alberta ... Ish
    Shimming does not transfer weight .
    Basically you have to compensate for the Arch of the deck or beam . A booster will even change things enough that you have to compensate of it as well.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.