Dedicated Lanes

Discussion in 'PAM' started by Scoundrel, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Scoundrel

Scoundrel Light Load Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Texas
    Yes, that's what I had to do. I'd gotten out of driving for a couple of years and the last company I worked for went out of business. So, I had to start all over and go back to trucking school. Now I'm under contract again just like a newbie.

I'm still not on the dedicated lane though. My new co-driver had dental work done and last I heard, is on pain meds and can't drive. Meanwhile, I'm broken down in indianapolis staying at the lot lizard inn.

Maybe we'll get on that gig by the end of the week.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Scoundrel

Apr 3, 2011
    Texas
    Update: my first co-driver was a flake and got canned. They sent me another guy right out of training. He drives well enough, but his backing and down shifting are weak.

Anyway, we start our run about midnight Sunday mornings, bobtail to San Antonio, pick up a loaded trailer and drive it to Eastern IL. where we make 3 stops and drive back to SA. We have 48 and a half hours to do the job and then we start a second trip to the same places. We're usually back home by Friday morning.

It is more work than driving solo was, but being home every weekend makes up for it.

4. djtrype

djtrype Heavy Load Member

Jan 3, 2009
    New Orleans
    For having driven for 2 years prior, you sure ask a lot of "new to the business" questions. Which is fine, but I'd imagine in 2 years you'd of learn something by now.

5. Scoundrel

Apr 3, 2011
    Texas
    The questions I ask deal with how PAM does things or are about things that have changed during the time I was out of trucking. For example, when I first started driving teams back in 04 it was legal for us to switch drivers every 5 hours. Not any more.

Also, my longest trucking gig was in a day cab. I almost never spent a night away from home and when I did I had a motel. So, I may ask questions about living in a truck because I drove OTR for only 6 months.

On the other hand, if someone asks about blind side backing a Kenworth day cab I have the answer, because I did that every day.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.