DEF Pump Issues

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by YuriyN, Jan 16, 2018.

1. YuriyN

YuriyN Bobtail Member

Jan 16, 2018
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hello everyone,

I have a question if anybody has ever had the same problem like me could answer a question for me.

I have a 2011 Volvo VNL 780 with a D13, currently at a Volvo dealer in NJ. I'm having problems with my DEF pump / DEF harness. The DEF pump was leaking DEF fluid from the harness (I went under the truck and removed the harness and DEF was leaking out from there). Took it to the dealer and they diagnosed the same. They said that the DEF pump was bad and that the DEF harness was corroded. They also said that the DEF fluid leaked from the DEF harness to the Chassis harness and started to corrode the Chassis harness.

My question to you guys is how is it possible for the DEF to leak to the Chassis harness. The dealer states that is went through the wiring of the DEF harness and started to corrode that way. But I just don't understand how, from what I understand there is not pressure running in the DEF harness (its just wires).

Are they just trying to get more money our of me?

BTW, the only fault codes that I had was for the DEF pump and for the DEF harness.

Thanks for the help!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Snailexpress

Snailexpress Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
    It really possible. If pump was leaking when truck was rolling air will spray everything under truck with DEF fluid.ask them to show you where chassis wiring is corroded
    BTW volvo has so bad wiring it will corrode even without DEF in couple years.
    I'm a witness.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    If it gets inside the wire loom (which it sounds like it did) then its entirely possible for fluids like DEF, coolant, oil etc to work their way down the harness. The wire harness loom will act like a hose.

KB3MMX and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  5. YuriyN

YuriyN Bobtail Member

Jan 16, 2018
    Brooklyn, NY
    I was driving the truck, but no DEF was leaking anywhere. The only time DEF was leaking out was when I went under the truck and removed the DEF harness to see if anything was wrong (which there was a problem, the DEF was leaking out from there).

I drove the truck 2,500 miles to get home and take it to the dealer next to my house and the DEF gauge did not move, so technically I did not loose any DEF anywhere and when I went under the truck the wiring around the DEF harness and the DEF pump was clean (no dried up DEF anywhere).

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  6. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    How much for new pump & harness's? $5K?

BennysPennys Thanks this.
  7. YuriyN

YuriyN Bobtail Member

Jan 16, 2018
    Brooklyn, NY
    Probably something around that.

Didn't see the estimate yet. From what I know the pump itself is around $2000.

Thankfully I have aftermarket warrenty, that will at least cover something.

KB3MMX and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  8. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    If you have the warranty, and they will cover it, why worry? Volvo's are NOTORIUS for wiring issues. You did it smart and got it home. Why F around now, and then have it go out on you in the middle of bum F some place.

I know all dealers are definitely NOT created equal lol. We have a very good one here in Phoenix.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

BennysPennys Thanks this.
  9. YuriyN

YuriyN Bobtail Member

Jan 16, 2018
    Brooklyn, NY
    Well the warranty wont cover everything.

They will cover the pump and the labour, the DEF harness is not covered. The Chassis harness isnt covered.

Im going to get the DEF pump and DEF harness replaced at the dealer. But going to take truck to my other "mom and pop" shop and have then check the chassis harness. (Actually trust the electrician at the mom and pop shop then at this dealer).

BennysPennys, KB3MMX and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  10. d281833

d281833 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2012
    Just done my DEF pump, 3k, 150 miles down the road same code, Doser valve,1k, 1500 miles later same code, o-ring and sensors, another 1k. Just waitin' for this check ur wallet light to come on again.

BennysPennys and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  11. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    Sounds like you need a new mechanic. They just wasted thousands of your dollars on parts that weren't the problem.

BennysPennys and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.