Define leaving the scene

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by wore out, Jun 29, 2014.

1. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    Ol Wore Out here can get himself into trouble with out trying so lets set the stage. Was swinging wide to make a right turn in a small city area, a pickup driver throws his hands up as I just block traffic waiting patiently. He soon hangs it in retreat and bangs into the car behind him, gets out slammin doors cussin punches the grill of my Pete. So I back up a little and squeeze on by as he is calling for police when he needs to be calling an ambulance. Keep in mind I was a witness only, nothing hit my truck but his fist more I think about it madder I get so I just shoot the fuel to it and let it ride. He isn't worth the trouble he will cause me and I know his hand is damaged enough. By law should I have stopped since I seen it or was it ok to just peel out and free up traffic.

rank Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    I have no idea, subscribed !!

70s_driver and bergy Thank this.
  4. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    I here ya bro, no telling how this will play out

rank and 70s_driver Thank this.
  5. MsFortune

MsFortune Bobtail Member

Jun 23, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    You were a witness only and there is no law that requires you to be a good samaritan.

70s_driver and magnificco Thank this.
  6. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    Ill play devils advocate here.

He will probably play it out as though you did forced him to back up. He probably got your truck number and want not. Cops having a hard on for trucks will probably believe him over you.

As MsFortune says, I dont believe you are required to stick around.

70s_driver Thanks this.
  7. Mev

Mev Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Not sticking around until police or rescue arrived

8. Alaska76

Alaska76 Road Train Member

Jan 20, 2014
    Inland Empire, WA
    I can only speak to how it stands in Alaska. Here you are required by law to stay and wait for the police to arrive and then give a statement, if you must leave the scene you are required to provide your contact information to a party involved.

So, technically you would have committed a violation.

Enforcement, for obvious reasons can be quite difficult. Of course the more dramatic the event, the more people who are willing to be part of the action.

70s_driver Thanks this.
  9. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    So what? He didn't force him to hit the other vehicle.

70s_driver Thanks this.
  10. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    He wasn't involved in the accident, he was a witness only. I would like to see proof of any law requiring a witness statement in this case.

Cetane+ Thanks this.
  11. FairPlayLLC

FairPlayLLC Bobtail Member

Jun 5, 2014
    You are NOT required to stick around... first of all, the angry driver assaulted you (an assault is legally defined as the "offer or intent to do harm" which can be inferred by the aggressor's actions)... furthermore, since he was road raging, you can legally leave ANY scene if you have a reasonable fear for your safety.. invoke THAT protection if the cops get in touch with you and they'll certainly play a different piano... Just a word from one driver to another: spend $199 at the nearest Walmart for a GoPro camera, stick some Velcro to it, and you have the most awesome dash cam imaginable... I have two of them so that BOTH of my side mirrors get covered.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.