Define leaving the scene

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by wore out, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Alaska76

Alaska76 Road Train Member

Jan 20, 2014
    Inland Empire, WA
    A driver is solely responsible for the operation of their vehicle, so blaming someone for forcing them to reverse will not fly.

Lux Prometheus and Cetane+ Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    you have to render aid for any injured person, if possible. No injuries, no contact, you can split.

Lux Prometheus and wore out Thank this.
  4. BrenYoda883

BrenYoda883 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    You said you were swinging wide for a right turn and blocking traffic... which is why the impatient driver backed up and hit another vehicle... so, he is going to tell the cops you obstructed his way..

You leave so they only have his account of it all... and leaving always makes one look guilty....

If it were me... I would of called 911 as soon as he hit the other car to report the accident... that an impatient driver threw his truck in revers while cursing at me and hit another vehicle...

Lux Prometheus Thanks this.
  5. Cottonmouth85

Cottonmouth85 Bad Influence

May 3, 2012
    Floresville, Tx
    Nope.... did nothing wrong. Hopefully he was thinking more about his busted hand than getting your plate number.

wore out Thanks this.
  6. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Sounds like he needs anger management classes.You did right by not sticking around waiting for the cops,knowing that driver as mad as he was would have started swinging at you had you got out.

7. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    Well the injuries would be the grey area, the large guy he backed into was pretty calm till the little man syndrome caused the idiot to hit my grill. I reach for the door handle and looked at my dog and knew if I go who would care for him. Besides never been to jail in my whole life why start now. Other than the grill punch it was plain there were no injuries, and I heard him say Arkansas Plate into the phone as I was pulling out. Since we weren't in Arkansas it was obvious he was calling in my plate. I wasn't gonna sit there and let my ol rag a muffin get abused either wasn't her fault at all.

8. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    I'm not sure how that will be determined. Once he smacked your grill and was hurt as a result, you were involved. But this was after the fact and not the result of being in the driver's seat at this point.

You can always come back and say you felt threatened since he was in a violent state of mind. Since you didn't want him to damage your truck or engage with you in a fight you left since you weren't actually involved.

You have to check state law as some states require you administer assistance but this wasn't a life threatening situation. Maybe call the cops and find out your position?

9. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    According to the Seinfeld finale, if he was in Latham, Massuchusets. They have a Good Samaritan law, it was passed after Princess Di's death......

nshore harleyguy and scottied67 Thank this.
  10. cabwrecker

cabwrecker The clutch wrecker

Mar 23, 2012
    The Truckers Report:
    Where 30 men sitting in the back of a sleeper, spread across the nation, can come together and give questionable legal advise.

11. Cottonmouth85

Cottonmouth85 Bad Influence

May 3, 2012
    Floresville, Tx
    Hope he didn't dent that 359.... if he did I prob woulda stuck around long enough to introdue him to the tire~thumper. Did you have a load on when it happened?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.