define unreasonable ...

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by HFC, Jul 19, 2011.

1. I_HATE_MINIVANS

I_HATE_MINIVANS Heavy Load Member

Original context:

How Injun shortened it:
    wsyrob's reply regarding the shortening of the quote:

Wsyrob, have you ever read a newspaper or magazine article and noticed how people are quoted sometimes? People's words are taken out of context all the time. When it happens to politicians, the words are taken WAY out of context, sometimes bits and pieces of comments and speeches made months apart, to make it look like a politicians just said something like "I hate America and want to see it destroyed" because the general public is to dumb to know that the "..." dot-dot-dot represents words that are missing. (Also, a word in parenthesis in the middle of a quote is a word used by the person DOING the quotation to replace a word that, when taken out of context, would be meaningless. Like when a cop says "He swerved into the guardrail" the reporter might change it to "(the driver of the car) swerved into the guardrail". Sometimes cuss words are taken out that way too.)

Example, a politician can say "I am fully committed to waging war against the terrorists who hate America and want to see it destroyed" but some propagandist will quote him and write it like this: "I ... hate America and want to see it destroyed".

For some reason putting the 3 dots in there makes it a perfectly legal way to slander a politician.

But in this particular case I don't think Injun did it to change the meaning of what you said. She just shortened it and left out the part about the idling policies.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JoeyJunk

JoeyJunk Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Washington, PA
    I just idled away a 34. Lookin at another 16 right now. I tell them it wouldn't be idling if it was moving, or better yet I was at home.

I_HATE_MINIVANS Thanks this.
  4. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    Had that happen to me once back when I was coaching. Local newspaper did a sports front page article on 3 girls I had with 2000 Olympic Trial Cuts. The reporter was friends with an adult masters swimmer who used to train with my team. These girls were age 13-16. They routinely trained faster than the boys on my team even though the boys were much faster in meets.

The masters swimmer prepped the reporter with this information and he asked me questions about how these girls practiced relative to the guys. I replied that they pushed the guys and would not as good as they were without them. The article ended up belittling the boys based on the reporters preconceived bias.

All hell broke loose the morning it ran mainly because one of the boys was the son of the YMCA board chairman. I found myself fielding phone calls from the CEO over stuff the masters swimmer had said that was credited to me.

5. zebcohobo

zebcohobo Vincent Van Gopher

Jul 19, 2010
    Redbank,SC
    It's always entertaining to watch you guys derail a thread. Then again buffet protocol is not the most interesting topic to debate. I could go for some Waffle House hashbrowns right about now. Scattered, smothered, covered and chunked oh my!

6. I_HATE_MINIVANS

I'm thinkin' Arby's!​

[​IMG]

blktop-bucanear and zebcohobo Thank this.
  7. JoeyJunk

JoeyJunk Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Washington, PA
    You had to mention Waffle House?! Now Im really hungry and no ways near one!!! Thanks alot! You derailed my appetite:biggrin_25522:

zebcohobo and blktop-bucanear Thank this.
  8. I_HATE_MINIVANS

Speaking of Waffle House and what they're known for, ...

There used to be this bar & grill somewhere around Joliet, IL named "Sam & Ella's". :biggrin_2559:

Big Don Thanks this.
  9. Freebird135

Freebird135 Road Train Member

May 7, 2009
    In the air conditioning
    took me a minute to get that one

10. zebcohobo

zebcohobo Vincent Van Gopher

Jul 19, 2010
    Redbank,SC
    Yeah Arby's is good too but it just can't quench a Waffle House jones. It seems like since there's almost always a Waffle House on both sides of any given exit they would have better truck parking. Or maybe the truck stops should give Denny's the boot and bring in the WH. MMMM, steak and eggs on me guys. Let's go! You drive though, I got one eye closed trying to type this out. lol.

11. I_HATE_MINIVANS

I only go to the Arby's that still have the "pick 5" deal and I get 5 "ham melts". Nummy nummy! I could eat those things all day.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.