deleting an engine causes engine problems?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by splittero1, Feb 23, 2020.

1. lwlevens

lwlevens Medium Load Member

Feb 9, 2018
    No not a grandpa. I have a 72 SS Nova that runs mid 10s in the quarter mile. Just saying you always hear people having problems after someone tunes their truck. Again if it ain't broke don't fix it that's all. Had a driver drive my tri axle dump he said it ran great, then he got in my buddies truck and all of a sudden my truck was to slow,and the truck has 435 hp

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    rachi Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    If you're gonna make power, you better have the right stuff under the valve cover to handle it. Just like how back in the day guys were blowing up their 6.0L Powerstrokes. A chip for an extra 120 hp on stock internals = BOOM!

Shawn2130, MACK E-6 and rachi Thank this.
  4. lwlevens

Feb 9, 2018
    Yeah those 6.0 guys didn't up grade the head studs and blowing head gaskets

rachi Thanks this.
  5. Chubby Fly

Chubby Fly Medium Load Member

Nov 25, 2019
    well big power in a truck equals savings at the fuel pump and more poullling power when you need it. This isnt muscle car forum on whos stick is bigger than the other guys with egos. So to suggest that adding power to your money maker is about an ego trip is rediculous. If you have the money to put more power to your money maker and make it run right, thats a huge bonus in every which way. The ego trip is on your muscle car forums you frequent with your 10 second car

6. lwlevens

Feb 9, 2018
    Look what you just wrote...If you have the money to put more power to your money maker and make it run right. That's what I'm getting at IF IT RUNS RIGHT people get their trucks tuned and they have nothing but problems.

7. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    It all depends what engine.

Guys have nothing but problems with mx engines ,max force engines ,Mercedes engines, ISX engines all running stock power. They are all terrible engines in my opinion. Sure put a delete and add 100 hp or so and they don't last long. But they were crap to begin with.

Now take a good engine like a series 60 or E CAT and add 100 or even 200 HP no problem.

I had a series 60 dynoed at 650 rwhp and ran it that way for over 4 years . Got 7.5 mpg and just did oil changes. Also have a E model 2ws CAT running about the same HP . Going on 8 years now with just a couple valve sets and oil changes . Also have a 5EK same dame deal.

These engines were designed and build by the manufacturer to put out up to 1000hp in marine applications. They can handle the power if built correctly and operated with common sence.

Sad to say but all the new stuff nowadays is garbage.

Shawn2130, ODR, rachi and 1 other person Thank this.
  8. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    @swaan
    If you read all the posts,you would know his real problem was a wire going to the ECM.
    Nothing to do with old or new engine.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    Socal Xpress and rachi Thank this.
  9. lwlevens

Feb 9, 2018
  10. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    I did read all the posts and thanks for assuming I did not.

The original thread was about a guy having head / gasket issues on a deleted MX.

My answer was just a blanket statement to various posts other people chimed in on saying that you shouldn't turn up these engines.

spsauerland and Chubby Fly Thank this.
  11. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    Not sure if your being sarcastic or genuine. So hard to tell over a keyboard.

But I don't assume or portray to"know" everything as I'm always learning. But only speak on subjects I have or had experience with. So much more needed information has to be present then to just assume all engines shouldn't tuned. Not pointing fingers but again a blanket statement.

spsauerland Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.