depression

Discussion in 'Central Refrigerated' started by 4noReason, Mar 20, 2013.

1. 4noReason

4noReason Road Train Member

Nov 29, 2012
    guys im a new driver. and im depressed from being away from home. im always scared when i go somewhere cuz of the stupid backing. how long will this last? i cant
    enjoy myself at all. i hate it so much and the checks are so low. o my gosh. do they get better?

jxu417 and landstar8891 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. critters

critters <b>Late For Dinner</b>

Jul 16, 2011
    traverse city,MI
    they will get better in time,your first year will be the worst.you never really get over missing home.if you truly hate it than maybe time to look else where.

aiwiron Thanks this.
  4. jxu417

jxu417 Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Midwestern OH
    Do you have a computer? If you do, and can get your own wifi from your cell phone carrier (like I did-so I can get online anywhere anytime), then you could skype folks back home. I have been doing that and my kids really enjoy it. Its the next best thing to being right there in the room with them. Being away is an adjustment, and takes a little time. I try to stay busy WORKING my entire 14 hours every day. Then allow 1.5-2 hrs of ME time before getting as close to 8hrs of sleep that I can. Try staying focused on work while you are out each day, and make the most of your 10 hour break. Curious, what type of truck do you drive, and how long are you out for at a time? This IS tough on a new guy. I am just now starting to finish acclimating to it myself after about a year and a half.

critters and thecleaninglady Thank this.
  5. 4noReason

4noReason Road Train Member

Nov 29, 2012
    its a prostar i hate it! but i mean its company you know. i wanna join my uncle soon in intermodal as a owner operator but i need some experience. its just man like i arent even OTR and I barely come home. and like it so hard. my main problem now is im always scared when it comes to backing. like the whole time im driving im scared. it just wont go away.

6. critters

Jul 16, 2011
    traverse city,MI
    what is it that scares you? how long you been solo?

7. teflondave

teflondave Light Load Member

May 22, 2012
    harwood, md
    things do improve IF you let them...leaving home never gets any easier though...your driving skills will improve as will the money but it takes time. this job will never be easy but it is very fulfilling and interesting so make the best of it...I don't know where you are from but will see more of this country in a week than some will see in a lifetime so relax and enjoy it while you can...drive safe.......

8. jxu417

jxu417 Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Midwestern OH
    no, I meant van/flatbed/tanker/ect. I am assuming van. DOn't worry yourself so much about the actual backing- worry about your set up before you back. Get the set up right before you start the backing up. To quote my trainer, Sarge26044, "Backing is like picking up women, it's all in the set up."

critters and KingTrucker Thank this.
  9. critters

Jul 16, 2011
    traverse city,MI
    the biggest thing in backing is to relax,it takes time it'll come just relax

disgustedtrucker and jxu417 Thank this.
  10. disgustedtrucker

disgustedtrucker Bobtail Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Walnut Grove MO
    Dont give up. Everybody has to pay their dues. You will get better as time goes on and then the fear will diminish. Just dont worry about what other people think if you think you are taking too long to back in, safety first. I dont know what your family situation is like but they understand you are out to make a living and are probably very proud of you. Work through it and pursue your goal. We were all there at one point. Be safe and truck on!

jxu417, critters and EAzYrIDer007 Thank this.
  11. jxu417

jxu417 Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Midwestern OH
    Just know that you are not the only one out here that feels like you do. We all have the lonesome feeling sometimes. Things will improve. Stay safe.

disgustedtrucker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.