depression

Discussion in 'Central Refrigerated' started by 4noReason, Mar 20, 2013.

1. fr8wurx

fr8wurx Light Load Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Lingle, WY
    I completely understand the backing thing, but as everyone else has said, practice makes perfect. You will get it.
    I also understand the lonely part. I dont know what your home situation is like. Do you have a wife and kids or what. I have a wife and 2 amazing daughters at home. My older daughter got me a little stuffed animal that she mounted on my dash and my younger daughter made a picture on my computer that I use as my background. Every time I see them it reminds me of them. Plus I call home every night to see how their day has gone. I make sure to talk to everyone every night. Not as good as being there but it works to keep me sane every day. And home time is so much better when you have been out for a while too. It is amazing what you take for granted when you are home all the time. Make the time to talk to the people at home every day. It helps. Stay safe and keep the rubber on the road.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ladywrongway03

ladywrongway03 Heavy Load Member

Aug 28, 2008
    trotwood oh
    I have been home for 5 months with a broken foot.I am now released and will be going back out this weekend.I have been able to babysit my grandchildren and enjoy dinners out and hang with my 87 yr old mom.I am already homesick and I havent even left yet.

4. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    Same here, I was like a kid in a candy store even though I made pennies my first year. I quit my first job the day I paid my loan off. But that job never got me down because I was having too much fun seeing the country and all the different cultures out there.

I'll never forget my drill sergeant when I went in the army. He was all gunho, a snake and monkey eating lean mean fighting machine. When ever he was motivating us he would say "it's all in your mother huckin mind"! Though a little harsh that holds a lot of truth. You can look at something in a negative light or a positive light. The choice is yours. I found the hard things in life are much easier if you look at them in a positive light.

Like others said don't get depressed at backing but look as it as a challenge. A challenge that you are going to win. After all others can do it. So can you. You just have to figure out how. Win that challenge and then you will win the next one and the next one. You'll do much better that way than getting upset and walking away from the things you don't like. Are you a quitter or a winner? Things don't happen overnight except deliveries. :)

If you are having problems backing practice in empty parking lots and not just when you have to. If you don't have the concept down yet, it might sound stupid but it works... Go buy a toy truck at Walmart. Seeing the truck from above it will click easier. I need to do this to get the trailer to do this type thing. Then in a couple days take it back and get your money back. I've worked with problem backers before and the toy truck thing works.

Trucking is a way of life. I think you are finding out there is a whole bunch more to it. You have to commit to trucking and marry it and what comes with it if you want to be happy. It's more than just a job. Your family has to do the same and understand your career is on the road. Drivers find ways to communicate and stay in touch when on the road. It's much easier today with computers and cell phones. Imagine what the older truckers done. It was a pocket full of change and a payphone.

But in general your feelings are normal but they do go away. Better jobs open up at 6 months, 12 month's and even at 2 years. It wasn't until about 4-5 years I've seen trucking in a whole different light. I was fully seasoned then and things got a whole bunch easier because you know how to deal with everything and all the job shortcuts. I use to remember trips felt so long and took forever. It gets to a point 600 miles feels like 100 miles.

Then again there are people that find trucking isn't for them. New drivers think it's an easy job and they find out a whole different story. Being away from home is one of the deal breakers for the industry's high turn over rate. I'd guess about 1 in 6 makes it if that.

aiwiron Thanks this.
  5. aiwiron

aiwiron Road Train Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Sunny Tampa Florida
    Backing takes time, no two places are the same.

Being away will always draw on you but have to get your head into your job than home.

6. 4noReason

4noReason Road Train Member

Nov 29, 2012
    Thanks for the amazing advice. The thing about backing is I sometimes get it in right away but it's croocked on the dick so I do 20 pull ups till it's straight I don't know why I. Can't get it straight like one side will be off. Also ya intermodal is almost home daily. That's what I want. Just need to get this backing down. Thanks people.

7. Aaron Stewart

Aaron Stewart Light Load Member

Nov 20, 2012
    Bakersfield, CA
    I have myself a little portable DVD player with perhaps the worlds smallest screen but I brought along a collection of tv series (a movie won't cut it, one watch and its old, a tv series has replay value) and that really helps me relax in my off time.

8. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    I'm glad your foot is better and good to go back to work but do I since alittle reluctant going back to work?lol

critters Thanks this.
  9. critters

critters <b>Late For Dinner</b>

Jul 16, 2011
    traverse city,MI
    must be nice to work release,I've been off 4 and half months just had surgery Wednesday so it'll be at least another 3-4 weeks before I can go back.

10. critters

critters <b>Late For Dinner</b>

Jul 16, 2011
    traverse city,MI
    Good Luck going back,wish I was.

11. landstar8891

landstar8891 Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2012
    NY NY
    I don't know aout the rest.But somedays i just can't hit that dock.:biggrin_25526:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.