Deregulation specifics

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Lab work, Feb 28, 2020.

1. clausland

clausland Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2014
    North Woods
    Before deregulation most O/O's either hauled exempt commodities, leased to an established regulated carrier (usually under an O/O division), trip leased, or some even did the hot midnight express (at great peril).

Unlike now, obtaining operating authority involved a long, expensive, and complex process, with no guarantees, that involved retaining the services of an attorney, well versed in transportation.

One had to show there was "a need" for a new carrier to haul specific products, within a specified area that was currently not being served or was underserved. This of course required the help of shipper(s)/manufacturer(s) who attested to the need of your services to fulfill their business activities. Much supporting paperwork was involved the process. Basically, you had to "prove" your services were necessary. If approved, big if, your commodities hauled and your geographical areas (states) were clearly defined. As you can imagine, established carriers would protest. Some parts of the country were sewn up tight, basically almost impossible to be granted authority.

1980 that changed and subsequently trucking has morphed into what we have today. Personally, I believe the pendulum has swung too far the other way, but I digress...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH

What? We only regulate everything except wages and payments now in this deregulated industry.

4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Working in both pre and post deregulation

All that was done was a simple change from one set of problems for another set of problems.

People made better money then.

5. Lab work

Lab work Medium Load Member

Apr 20, 2018
    USA
    Seems like the NAFTA deal even made it worse.

6. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    In the transportation industry, including airlines and railroad there is and never was wage laws.

already gone, x1Heavy and jamespmack Thank this.
  7. jamespmack

Mar 25, 2014
    OH

Never said there was.

8. Deere hunter

Deere hunter Road Train Member

Aug 5, 2017
    Shallowater Texas
    I ran leased to a small carrier during regulation era and made pretty good money, not a lot of headaches!
    After deregulation we started our own Trucking company and brokerage, after many years of feast and famine ALOT of blood sweat and tears , long hours and little pay we have seen a few good years, Thank God
    Now days leasing on to mega’s who run their own trucks really doesn’t work, they run on volume. One truck owner or even small fleet always one step ahead of doomsday! Very hard to put any real money away for repairs, retirement or medical emergencies! If you can find a good niche with your own customers and a decent rate life is a lot better and easier!
    You buy your own truck today your just buying a job and most of the time not a very good one, most would be better off if they just made someone else a good driver! Either can be very a tough why to make a living!

faux_maestro, jamespmack and clausland Thank this.
  9. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    All deregulation did was lower the transportation costs......

Life was better then......

jamespmack Thanks this.
  10. jamespmack

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    I'm to young to have driven, but grew up in the 80's. Pops drove from 1968-2016 as a owner OP leased to a carrier. Never seen a guy with more detailed books. Now he moonlighted as needed but mostly hauled steel and till 1989 union teamster with equipment lease. Two check system with benefits and taxes deducted from drivers wage, plus truck lease check. 1973-1980 he factually could show a higher profit% than 1990's thru 2016. I'm a fourth generation owner OP. I highly doubt there will be a fifth generation at this point.

11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Thats been repealed for a new replacement that I cannot hope to understand.

There was a hell of alot of good industry populating toronto and other places before my eyes in the 90's from fields to car factories in 10 years.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.