Detention and TONU

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by Dino soar, Jun 2, 2018.

1. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    I am wondering what the Brokers perspective is (and also o/o) on detention and TONU.

From what I have read some owner operators do not put any detention time in their agreement and try to just get more money out of the load and if there is a problem they'll attempt to get detention. Then at least they got a higher rate for the load. I've read where some owner operators are reluctant to put that into the initial agreement. Do you prefer that owner operators put detention pay and TONU into the agreement?

When you initially pick up a new customer, do you not discuss with them detention pay and TONU? If it has already been discussed, why isn't that just part of the regular agreement consistently?

Is there a "going" rate for detention and TONU?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    I base detention off of what the truck normally makes per hour. Everyone will vary some.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  4. thelushlarry

thelushlarry Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2012
    glasgow ky
  5. boredsocial

boredsocial Road Train Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    From a brokers perspective it depends entirely on the customer. From what I've seen across many accounts the people who should be paying detention don't pay it and those who probably shouldn't have to do pay detention.

If you're doing a load of produce assume it will involve half a day of waiting on each end and won't pay detention. This doesn't mean 'don't haul produce' it means 'charge accordingly for the line haul'.

wore out, KB3MMX and gokiddogo Thank this.
  6. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    CHR and Coyote and perhaps some others are brokers who would predetermine a detention rate in advance, depending on a customer. For example, they will state in their rate con, the detention starts after 3 or 4 hours $25 do per hour max $220. It is often either you take it or not. I imagine this can be changed/renegotiated, if they are desperate but this tells you that you can't count on detention as a money maker. Such loads (to Walmarts, Krogers, Krafts and such) should pay much better in the very rate.

DSK333 and KB3MMX Thank this.
  7. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Thank you for the replies.

When you initially make contact with a new broker do you put detention in the agreement?

And do Brokers pick up new clients without ever discussing detention or TONU?

8. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    CHR and Coyote apparently enjoy insulting carriers with that disgusting "take it or leave it" lowball mentality. I wonder how many times their freight gets put in storage. No way I would sit for 4 hours for free.

9. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
    Coyote: pulled 1 load, took 4 weeks to get paid while on "quick pay" setup. Now they call, I give them outrageous quotes, and they balk (good riddance)

CHR: I get $100-200 more via "my special agent" versus the posting agent. I also get $50-75/hr detention, but 90% of the time, I get unloaded early or within 2 hrs. Being on paper-logs helps keep that on-time delivery to 100% all the time.

shogun and DSK333 Thank this.
  10. loudtom

loudtom Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2016
    I still can't bring myself to sign addendum D or whatever on Coyote's setup packet- the one that says I agree to run for $1.10 a mile.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.