Detention Pay etc.

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by BoyWander, Aug 13, 2012.

1. BoyWander

BoyWander Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2011
    Michigan
    So when you independents sign a contract with a broker for a particular load, how do you go about deciding on detention pay, or do you already have your own policy and just insert it into the contract and send it back?

How much do you charge for it normally, or what are brokers willing to pay?

Also, if you have an appointment time, and you get there at or before that time, and they end up telling you they can't unload you that day, or that week, God forbid, do you have a trailer storage fee that you charge, and put in the contract?
    If something like that happens, and your trailer has all that freight on it that's taking up the space, do you have to find a place to store it and charge storage fee?

Just curious about it all. I was reading a post earlier about a customer that arbitrarily decides you can't get unloaded today, even though there was an appointment time.

If that happened to me, I would charge probably like $750 a day to store their crap on my trailer, so that I can go rent another trailer and keep moving.

Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    Unless it is in the contract you probably won't receive detention. In fact, unless the shipper is willing to pay you still won't get paid detention.

4. BoyWander

BoyWander Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2011
    Michigan
    Then I guess I would have to have in my contract with the broker that I get detention, even if that means the broker has to pay it him/herself.

I find it hard to believe that you wouldn't ever NOT have in your contracts anything about detention pay, G/MAN.

5. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    Detention is not always listed in contracts between carriers and brokers. Even if you have your own contract, the terms must be agreed to by both parties in order to be valid. Even if not listed on the contract, it could be noted on the rate confirmation. The problem is that the broker is not going to take money out of their pocket for something for which they have no control. Most will not risk losing a shipper over detention. Unless the broker collects detention from the shipper they will not pay money out of their own pocket. If you want to be more assured of receiving detention then you need to find your own shippers and put the terms for detention into the agreement.

6. flc120

flc120 Heavy Load Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Miami,FL (yeah i know :( )
    detention pay lol they always get me loaded just right before there last fre hour. in FL it pretty much doesnt exsist.

7. 48stater

48stater Light Load Member

Aug 3, 2012
    I have a secure drop lot near home. If I'm doing a brokered load and get the old "can't unload you until tomorrow but we'll give you $50 to layover", I very politely tell them I'll take the load home, drop it and redeliver when I get the time because I have other customers to service. Maybe I can get to it next week, maybe two weeks and (of course) I'll need the extra pay to redeliver as well. I'm lucky and have a spare trailer so I can drop and move on to the next load if need be. I've threatened to do it maybe half a dozen times over the years, actually done it just once. The broker had told me "you WILL sit there until tomorrow" and it was on.

It was REALLY ugly, screaming and yelling, but I got paid for a redelivery and they got their load.....three days later. The other few times, I've managed to get unloaded in a timely manner. One day it might bite me in the rear, but hey, at some point certain brokers think they have a gun to your head and ya gotta do something.

I can be taught a lesson....or give one.

insertnamehere, Pilot1 and BoyWander Thank this.
  8. catrucker916

catrucker916 Light Load Member

Aug 5, 2012
    $750/day?? That will NEVER happen... If you have a good relationship with the broker they will take care of you with $150-$250/day BUT some are complete ###***** and don't pay anything, contract or not.

9. Pilot1

Pilot1 Light Load Member

Dec 7, 2011
    On the front 9
    EXACTLY RIGHT! $ 750/day for storage; might sound good for theory only, but you wont get it man!! That's part of accessorial or part of the accessorial charges in your contract.. As far as, detention goes it really depends on the customer for what their willing to pay the broker, and then what you and "said" broker can work out.

I believe you asked, what is customary to charge for detention? I think the usual is something like $45-$65/dollar's per hour. Now; there will some guy's get more, and then some get less.

10. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    For many companies ther's a catch to getting detention pay.You have to be there for so many hrs and you have to tell your dispatcher immediately.I've sat for hrs waiting to get unloaded and did'nt get as much as a dime because the customer pulled a fast one and got me unloaded before their cut off time was up.Then i've spoke to owner ops that tells the cust you have 1 hr to get me unloaded otherwise im going to charge you and you bet your sweet ### they get them unloaded right away.

11. catrucker916

catrucker916 Light Load Member

Aug 5, 2012
    Standard is $50/hr after 2 hrs but it just depends on who actually cares about taking care of the carrier. Some don't give a rats behind and try to avoid paying. Not much you can do except don't haul for them again or just charge them like you had the last truck that existed.

lol riiiiight I seriously doubt that customer even cared what that O/O said. They will unload when they are good & ready is usually the case. The guys on the dock could care less if someone has to pay detention, they are going to take their breaks and lunches right on time every time.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.