Detention Pay etc.

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by BoyWander, Aug 13, 2012.

1. afterburn25

afterburn25 Medium Load Member

Jul 7, 2012
    Lafayette, LA
    lol I couldn't have said it better myself its just a Myth

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    I get mine. Crooked. skimming, non paying brokers are actually one of my favorite things about this business. If I couldn`t harass them, life would be very boring.

Once you find out where the family lives and get the wife on the phone, you always get your money.

4. Raiderfanatic

Raiderfanatic Heavy Load Member

Jul 18, 2010
    Hutchinson, KS
    Detention pay is something that should be mandatory. Shippers and receivers get away with murder sometimes on how they can hold a driver up.

I've noticed though that places that actually do pay detention, there isn't a consistent issue. They are usually pretty efficient on getting a truck in and out.

We haul a lot salt from Cargill and if a load takes us to a place where you set and set, Cargill pays us detention. Then they deal with getting reimbursed from their customer. That's good and bad, though. Cargill will pay 50/hour or 600/24 hours. I was stuck at Hormel in Austin, MN for 19 hours a couple months back. Talking to one of the Hormel guys, he said they pay 65/hour or 800 over 24 hours. I was kinda disappointed in Cargill after hearing that.

5. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    Yep. They all pay detention. It`s getting it from the brokers that is the challenge. One time I have a truck in WV and there is always a problem at this shipper. It always takes 2 hrs to do a 15 minute job. Anyway, the load wasn`t ready. So I tell broker my truck is rolling on out of there. He begs and pleads for me to lay over. Then the power went out. Wound up laying over for $400 IIRC and the detention clock started ticking at 07:00 the next day. Had a conference call with me, the broker and the shipper the next AM. Shipper came right out and said "we pay $75hr after the 1st hour". I said I am fine with that. Comes time to settle the bill broker only wants to pay $50 after 2. I am like "WTF Don, I was on the conference call remember?" In the end it was only a 2 hr delay so I said pay me the $400 layover + $100 detention and keep the $50 if you need it that bad. We do alot of work for this guy so sometimes I have to grit my teeth and be the nice guy.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.