Detention Pay

Discussion in 'Landstar' started by truckfam, Mar 12, 2013.

1. truckfam

truckfam Medium Load Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Frederick, OK
    Well, we got it.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. truckfam

Aug 29, 2009
    Frederick, OK
    I understand, but I will chase it down. After six months, I'm like a collection agency. We got most of it. They negotiated with my husband. He's a soft touch, so it was $1325.

4. Autocar

Autocar Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2012
    The Hot Rod Shop Oxford, AL
    Why did he let them deal it down? That is a $925 hit to your pocket.

5. truckfam

Aug 29, 2009
    Frederick, OK
    You never chase down money owed to you? You just let it go? Why? It's worth a 5 minute phone call, to ask for our money.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  6. dogcatcher

dogcatcher Heavy Load Member

Apr 30, 2010
    tn
    First off and most Im[oprtant question: DID YOU GET IT IN WRITTING? The Agent should have sent you a rate sheet on confirming your Det pay?
    2 Like autocar said youll get paid, but its when the customer pays, samething with a TONU.
    Off the average 90-120 days

landstar8891 Thanks this.
  7. truckfam

Aug 29, 2009
    Frederick, OK
    We did get it. Would you not even bother? Detention torques me off, and I will certainly get that money.

I book our truck for three loads/weeks, in advance. We don't have time to sit for 3 days. We're on time and we have places to go. I have a "feeling", about certain loads. I don't schedule a load, after some, because I know we'll be screwed. Those loads entail detention. We don't sit for free.

You're pretty flippant about detention. How do you schedule your truck?

scottied67 Thanks this.
  8. truckfam

Aug 29, 2009
    Frederick, OK
    Beats me. I have no idea. He said it was 2 1/2 days. I said it was 3. Trust me, he's in trouble for it.

I think it's because I'm not on the truck. My presence on the truck means an extra $5,000 added to our gross. We also spend less.

9. landstar8891

landstar8891 Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2012
    NY NY
    Here is my wonderful story with this so called detention pay.I was waiting in a parking lot for 23 hours and i called customer service and the agent every hour.I was ''promised'' detention pay on this waiting time..So i figured what the hell.I get $40.00 and hour after the 2 required hours.So i just sucked it up and dropped my trailer and went into town and got some things done..

Once i hit the 23 hour mark i called again and again..All seemed very well and i assumed i was getting the ''big money''.I finally got my trailer back and it was loaded.The shipper even put the times on the paperwork for me.

This is when i became enraged.I did not see any detention for one month.So i went up the chain of command and got some answers.The answer sucked and i no longer pull for DUV.

What i was told from L/S Corp was this.And mind you that no one told me.After the 24 hours i was waiting it went into ''layover pay''..On the bills it was 26 hours i was there waiting.I was thinking ''big money''.That was not the case..24 HOURS X 40.00 = 960.00 FOR DETENTION..Not the case..

Landstar looked into the ''contract'' with this customer Colonial Windows in Virginia.It does indeed state that after 24 hours it kicks in to ''layover'' pay..Which is much much less than the 960.00.I was in shock and not to happy.DUV never told me this and i took there ''word'' for it..We had a three way with DUV and they LIED.I ended up recieving 340.00 the ''layover'' pay.Landstar actually went to bat for me and helped me anyway they could.

So i learned alot from that and at the time BCO Services taught me alot..First thing is i had the choice to leave after 2 hours.I would of not been in any trouble..So looking back i should of ran..Second i should of got all this in ''writing''.I did not..Third i should of called Landstar and ask the higher ups what does it state in this customer contract AND NOT BELIEVE DUV SNAKES...

In the end i learned some great lessons.I would bet you are not going to see 2,000 bucs..Keep us informed and let us know what you get...

10. landstar8891

landstar8891 Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2012
    NY NY
    If it is not in ''writing'' like you said.Chances are it will never show up.Last year i lost alot of detention pay because it was not in ''writing''.L/S Customer service will want proof and not just hear say.

11. truckfam

Aug 29, 2009
    Frederick, OK
    We did receive $1325 in detention. My husband agreed to the lesser amount.

Most of our detention occurs at delivery. A few years ago, we booked a brokered load for some copper from Hayden, AZ. We showed up on time, they told us to wait. Our appt. time was 3 pm. At 2 am, the broker agency called every thirty minutes. I tore into those people for two issues. Issue 1: We had called and explained the situation. Issue 2: We were sleeping. I determined we would never haul a load for those people again. When we got to Amarillo, I had to wait at the gate. Seems this company is owned by a Brazilian company, that lays off workers, files bankruptcy and screws people out of pensions. We will not haul copper from Hayden, AZ, anymore. On the upside, we met an old-timer and his son. We cooked dinner in the lot and watched "slag" being poured off the top of a mountain. It was like watching a volcano. We had a nice evening, good conversation and a show. I wasn't mad about the delay, until the broker called us and woke us up. They called again, and again, and again. When I demanded detention, they finally left us alone. The next day; I called them, again and again and again.

Thanks for telling us about DUV. I keep a #### list.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.