Detention Pay

Discussion in 'Landstar' started by truckfam, Mar 12, 2013.

1. truckfam

truckfam Medium Load Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Frederick, OK
    As I said earlier, I ask about some loads upfront. If it's over-sized and requires a crane, I always ask about detention. I don't play that game.

Last week, we hauled highway signs. We were the second load. The guy with the first load, encountered high winds and damage to the signs. My husband had to wait for them to redesign and build new containers for the signs. We should charge them for 4 hours. He had to sit for 6 hours, before he got loaded. He was on time, waited six hours and delivered everything, on time. No damage. Had I known, I might have pushed the agent to bump our pay.

Sometimes, you have to pick your battles. It was a good load. The agent *should* remember that we didn't raise Hell. If they don't, I do.

Eventually, an agent might *really* need our truck. If folks don't treat us fairly, we just won't haul for them. If they call and ask, I tell them why we will not haul for them, or XYZ company. This week, I called about a certain load and the person who answered the phone told me it didn't exist. After two days, and voice-mails, I called again, because it was still on the board. I got the agent. She was sweet as pie. I asked questions and she told me I was mistaken. I got bent out of shape. I said, "Just change the date, please." We can't have the load going to Texas. We can have a load going to CO. I want the load to TX. Why is it on the load-board, for two weeks, and we can't have it? It's STILL on the load-board.

We took the load to CO, and now my husband has to have a drug test by 5 pm.

I either talked to an agent who has a split personality, or they run the office out of the house, and I got the 15-year-old daughter. Cody told me I never talked to her, but she was happy to give my husband the CO load. Just in case I called the wrong number, and got trolled, I checked my call log. I called the KRU number, every time.

Yeah, KRU/KRV will gaslight you. They're on my list.

landstar8891 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. detroitpages

detroitpages Bobtail Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Melvindale, Mi
    Here's another load to avoid, LPA agency - load from Cottonwood AL to Delaware OH, Watermelons going to Krogers DC, had 8am appt this morning, got nto the dock at 4pm and its almost 8pm and still not empty, they started a while ago then stopped. said they needed eggs in the warehouse. hope there will be detention on this.

4. dogcatcher

dogcatcher Heavy Load Member

Apr 30, 2010
    tn
    If Detention isn't written it doesn't exists! Get it in writing from the Agent! As far as it paying right away, HUMMMM.... Always told it it wont pay until the customer pays including TONU. So I never count on it to happen, but I have been surprised and 6 months down the road received unexpected payments. If you feel the agent is putting out the BS call customer service and see what they can do for you

5. landstar8891

landstar8891 Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2012
    NY NY
    Nothing ''exists'' in Landstars eyes unless there is Proof and a Paper Trail..It's sad that we are on the same TEAM and some Low Life POS agent plays endless games with the Uneducated BCO.

6. landstar8891

Feb 4, 2012
    NY NY
    Better hope you have it in ''WRITING''....

7. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    That's the beauty off email vs phonecalls.:biggrin_25514:

8. landstar8891

Feb 4, 2012
    NY NY
    I learned the hard way about ''handshakes'' with Landstar Agents..When i start asking for ''confirmation'' and the Agents start stuttering,i am sure they are hiding the FACTS of the load.So then i stand my posistion and STAND MY GROUND..No paper trail,I will not be covering the load..I am here to make money for my small business.I am not into doing ''favors'' so Agents can make all the money..:biggrin_255:

truckfam Thanks this.
  9. dogcatcher

dogcatcher Heavy Load Member

Apr 30, 2010
    tn
    Ive said it before and Ill say it again! My truck doesn't roll till I have a rate confirmation in hand period!

10. landstar8891

Feb 4, 2012
    NY NY
    Dogcatcher does most everything for FREE around here at L/S..He sits on docks for FREE and laysover for FREE.He even finger prints every load and even puts it away for the Union Dock Workers for FREE...:biggrin_25525:

He takes loads from NY to Florida for Dog Biscuits and 2 hot dogs from the Pilot...:biggrin_2559:I have watched Dogcatcher run a load of Dog Food all the way to Cali,just for one case of Beef Jerkys...:diabloanifire:

11. detroitpages

detroitpages Bobtail Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Melvindale, Mi
    Just an update, I was finally unloaded at 9pm, as I was getting my PPW the agent called. He said he would call and try to get something extra from the broker for my waiting, when I mentioned detention - he said it was Watermelons and therefore exempt from detention (although it was listed as Consumer Goods on the load board). I did speak to someone in Jacksonville a few weeks ago about (Exemption) Loads and they mkention that sometimes the loads are listed wrong- Whether intentional or not I couldn't really be mad because I knew in my mind that - that was probably going to be the case, He said the broker is good at getting a little extra for the driver when stuff like that happens, (We'll see).

Lessons learned - Do not book loads after Excepted loads, Do not run produce unless it pays real well. NEVER NEVER Take a load to a Kroger DC unless it pays real well. As for the agent, I can't blame the agent for that as what happens at the shipper/reciever is out of their hands although a little warning (Heads up) would have been appreciated.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.