Detroit 14L turbo,vpod,actuator issue. or a sensor

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by Berzerker, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Hauk

Hauk Bobtail Member

Jun 23, 2021
    Mike....did you find a solution?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hauk

Hauk Bobtail Member

Jun 23, 2021
    CGYMike......did you find a solution? Sounds just like my truck

4. Truckers Report Jobs

5. CGYMIKE

CGYMIKE Bobtail Member

Dec 14, 2019
    Calgary
    Sadly the truck has still been doing it but not all the time. We ended up finding a small hole in the bottom right corner of the air to air system. The truck is operating fine at the moment other then this issue. Its very strange in how on a very side wind day it tends to do it more. There was something in relation to the barometric sensor that was causing problems so we swapped it out and seemed to lessen the problem.

6. Hauk

Hauk Bobtail Member

Jun 23, 2021
    Yep, had the same problem on windy days. I changed the barometric sensor, that didn't help me, changed the delta sensor, was almost plugged up with carbon, but that still didn't help much. Deleted the egr, that made quite a difference but didn't eliminate the problem. Am told I have a "veined turbo " and if those veins have any carbon build up, can be a problem. I am using this product called Forte (made in Alberta I believe) and again seems to slowly making it better. I have found out if I let the truck warm up to operating temp, 190, I have no trouble all day. If it does go into it's funk, it's only for a second or two. Was thinking of changing the vpod, but maybe I should just be patient and see if the carbon gets cleaned out. Funny how the mechanics thought I was nuts, having this problem when the wind was blowing on the passengers side. At least I'm not the only one.

7. Ritch Transport

Ritch Transport Bobtail Member

Nov 3, 2021
    I have an 04. Are there 2 VPOD's? Same part #'s? I'm having the same occasional loss of boost for a short period. I think I'll replace the harness and air line from VPOD to actuator just to be safe.

8. Hauk

Hauk Bobtail Member

Jun 23, 2021
    Changed the vpod 4 months ago and haven't had any issues since. Runs like a top.

9. TFord

TFord Bobtail Member

Dec 5, 2021
    14 liter Detroit 60 DDEC 6 no Vpod & Deleted

Having vgt turbo acuator problems. Have to shut truck off and let it reset to keep going. I would here it blowing differently at times. And HEAVY BLACK Smoke occasionally. I normally would tap the throttle and would be able to continue trucking. Last night was the first night I heard the turbo clicking while the key was in the on position but engine not running. Shutting the truck off for a while is not working any longer. I think my turbo is being stuck open and close. I’ll change the actuator and nozzle. I checked vgt and air to air for leaks didn’t find any checked the turbo & spendal was tight and no oil. I have a load and am in a bind. Stuck in bama headed to texas.

10. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    Sounds like to me that the sliding ring in the turbo that the actuator moves is sooted up and sticking.
    Maybe take it apart and clean it with carb cleaner?

11. TFord

TFord Bobtail Member

Dec 5, 2021
    I was thinking that too. That would mean clean the turbo really well or replace it or just replace nozzle if I can find one in this town. Do I take the actuator off and test the nozzle throw and that will also tell me if the turbo is still good or not. I’m really just trying to deliver this load and I’ll take it all apart at home. Would cleaning it with break clean and air without taking the actuator off do anything

These are the codes I’m getting

31 MCM - Motor Control Module EPA07 Turbo Actuator, Unknown Error Code 641 31

B 0 J1939-0 - Engine #1 G C Engine Variable Geometry Turbocharger Actuator #1 - Fail... 641 11

0 0 J1708-128 - Engine #1 # 0 Variable Nozzle Turbocharger (VNT) Mechanism - Special Ins... S147 14

G C Variable Nozzle Turbocharger (VNT) Mechanism - Failure mo... S147 11
    I posted this an hour ago and it didn’t post

12. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    If you are on the road I would try and see if you could clean it with some good carb cleaner (like gum out) and air.
    I don’t think brake clean would do a good job dissolving the carbon.
    Also I wouldn’t remove the actuator while your on the road.
    I believe the actuator is timed and can only be synchronized with the proper scan tool.

• Truckers Report Jobs