Detroit 60 series from hell

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Maximiliano, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Maximiliano

Maximiliano Bobtail Member

Jul 1, 2015
    New Jersey
    Hi everyone. I'd like to see if anyone has some insight on what I have been going through. I have a 95 Freightliner Classic with a Detroit 60 series 12.7L. Last month it blew the head gasket and hydro locked cyl#1 and threw the rod with piston out the side of the block. Since this truck is my baby. I decided to resurrect it and I brought it to a guy who had a 99 Detroit 60 series 12.7L to swap mine for his.. Well, after all said and done. All accessories ie: AC, alt, idler pulley were all transplanted from my old engine. NOW, my computer was damaged when my 95 motor blew and the 99 motors was stolen out of it, we put a DDEC IV. Truck wouldn't move. Not even bobtail. As soon as u came of the clutch and hit 1200rpm, truck would fall on its face, bellow out blue smoke out the stacks and pop and backfire so violent that it blew the 90's elbows off the mufflers.. Here is what I changed since that day. 6 rebuilt injectors clearance set to 80mm and they were calibrated to the computer, the SRS & TRS, boost pressure sensor, new return check valve, fuel filter, air filter. STILL SAME PROBLEM. So now what I did was put a DDEC III in it and it actually runs with or without a load and only breaks up very little till it warms up to 100 degrees. But. Truck has little power. Since its DDEC III it only puts out 430 so at 1700 rpm in 9th it gets lazy. Everything on the computer is unrestricted and wide open. Motor is non wasgated I know I should be able to get 470 out of it. Anyone have any idea why a DDEC IV won't work on my motor only a DDEC III will? I'm so stumped and have lost about 50 days of work. Thanks for reading

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    I went through some thing like that and it cost a lot of money.The bull gear key was sheered allowing camshaft timing to change but that was on a 14 liter. You have a lot of swapping that I know nothing about but you might be better off at a Detroit dealer.

4. Maximiliano

Jul 1, 2015
    New Jersey
    I brought it to the dealer, they could not extract any codes. I have their same computer capabilities. Their logical response to my problem was "I don't know, you might want to start at the harness". NOTHING IS WRONG WITH MY HARNESS. I appreciate you're response boxcarkidd, but 14L engine is another animal.

BoxCarKidd Thanks this.
  5. Lanceromance75

Lanceromance75 Bobtail Member

Jul 2, 2015
    First things first get a DDEC 4 box program it to the original serial number of the engine you put in the 99. The engine serial number is below intake manifold on left side of block usually 06r0xxxxxx. I know all 60s look the same but they are not. It should run better now because the ecm is matched to the engine. You will have to spend some money for the four box but it will fix your problem. Next verify w Detroit that you have the right turbo by the serial number of the engine. If it still runs ####ty and no check engine light check fuel pressure out of pump. Roughly 20-80 psi. Good luck.

RubyEagle, Vampire and Maximiliano Thank this.
  6. Maximiliano

Jul 1, 2015
    New Jersey
    I will most deff look into it. Thank you

7. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Another thing to make sure is that the ECM is properly programmed for the right OEM inputs and outputs.

8. Maximiliano

Jul 1, 2015
    New Jersey
    Got it thanks, the DDEC III that's running the truck now seems to be doing ok, but definitely not running at full power. And it's weird, from time to time at 1700 rpm under a hard pull, truck will get power and lose power. Closest thing I can compare it to is anyone who has ever drivin a Honda with V-TEC how it kicks on at a certain rpm. Well that's what it's doing.

9. allan5oh

allan5oh Road Train Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Winnipeg, mb
    It really needs to be hooked up to DDDL to see if all the inputs are working correctly. TPS could be a culprit here as per your last response. It would be a good idea to do cutout tests as well. We don't know the shape of the engine.

10. Maximiliano

Jul 1, 2015
    New Jersey
    The engine is a fresh rebuilt (if u will) it was completely rebuilt top to bottom. But it sat for 1.5 years till I bought it and installed it into my classic. TPS huh? Would that be the accelerator pedal? Because my truck would sometimes ghost idle up on its own. (With original motor)

11. lorha1159

lorha1159 Light Load Member

Nov 24, 2011
    virginia beach,Va
    ^^^^
    I have a 92 FL with a ddec2 11.1 that has had the ecm coverted to ddec4 box and programed for my engine serial number. Runs like a top.....well as much as a 320hp 11.1 can run lol.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.