Detroit 60 series regen problem

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by ribella, May 18, 2015.

1. ribella

ribella Bobtail Member

May 18, 2015
    Hello everyone, I am new here and was wondering if you could help me out with a problem I'm having with my truck.

I just bought this truck last month and it has been nothing, but problems. The truck is a 2008 Freightliner Colombia with a Detroit 60 series with 630k miles.

The problem I am having with the truck is:
    1. wont perform auto regen.
    2: will not finish a park regen.

I took the truck to a well known independent Detroit mechanic which was referred by couple of drivers in the area.

After diagnosis there was a code which he didn't tell me but what i read on his computer was Doser fuel supply abnormal. then he told me that he needed to change the Doser and do a hard regen and it will be good to go.

After completing the repair I drove for approximately 350 mile and the check CEL comes on and another 20 mile the regen lite comes on.after driving for 50 min highway speed the regen light starts flashing and i pulled over and performed a park regen.The regen took 25min and the CEL didn't go away.

After contacting the mechanic he offered to check out the truck once again so he can take a look at it. After I took it to him it said the same fault doser fuel supply abnormal and he said its the aluminum block which is the metering unit and DPF filter needs cleaning. He changed the metering unit and send out the DPF filter to get cleaned and put the truck back together and a hard regen,he said that I wont have any more problems.
    After picking up the truck, today same thing happen. I tried to pull out fault codes from the dashboard and the codes are ECU128, SID 154, FAIL01. I don't know what to do anymore. I would really appreciate your help.

Thank You,
    Chris

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Maybe the doser fuel pressure sensor. Detroit says even a drop of fuel leaking will cause an error, so check the fuel lines going to the doser.
    Any errors at all and the system will not do a re-gen.
    Here is a link to Detroit service bulletin to check for this error.
    https://ddcsn-ddc.freightliner.com/cps/rde/xbcr/ddcsn/601-09.pdf

ribella Thanks this.
  4. ribella

ribella Bobtail Member

May 18, 2015
    Thank you for the reply
    the whole Doser Block Assembly is brand new from the dealer which comes assembled with all the sensors.

5. Chip S

Chip S Light Load Member

May 27, 2013
    Texas
    Did he clean the bore behind the fuel doser valve housing? Are the fuel filters new? What is your fuel pressure? (taken by a mechanical gauge at the fuel temp sensor?

ribella Thanks this.
  6. heavyhaulerss

heavyhaulerss Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2009
    AL/TN BORDER
    I know what you should do that would solve all your problems now & forever, but I cannot say.:(

ribella Thanks this.
  7. Shaggy76

Shaggy76 Heavy Load Member

Feb 22, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    What does it do on the parked regen? Does it start up and kick right out or does it run for a few minutes and then kick out?

That code you have is EGR Temp Low. The issue could be due to a bad EGR valve and NOT the doser.

Does your mechanic us Detroit Diagnostic Link to monitor the forced regen? If so, they should have been watching the pre, catalyst, and outlet temps as well as the EGR to see what was too low. Then again, a lot are not trained to look for those things other than doing a regen and sending the truck down the road.

Have your EGR valve looked at to make sure it is going into a fully closed state during the regen cycle which creates more heat for the exhaust inlet. If that inlet isn;t reaching at least 900 degrees before the doser valve is supposed to open, it will code out and kick the regen cycle out.

ribella Thanks this.
  8. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I know this doesnt help you, but I went through this type of problem over and and over for almost 1 yr with a Peterbilt and CAT C15. Constantly limping the truck to shops because of regen issues. So if its any consolation,.. this is not just a Detroit or Freightliner problem.

Though there is one constant that I noticed while reading the same problem from others. Seems 08 - 2010/12-ish seems to be the worst of the bunch regarding emissions issues in general. Somewhere around 2012 seems to be a turning point and while not immune to DPF/DEF problems,.. they seems to be less predominant. This is just an observation based on my opinion. Not meant to be factual.

I feel for you and hope you get it figured out.

Hurst

ribella Thanks this.
  9. ribella

ribella Bobtail Member

May 18, 2015
    Hello Shaggy76

When i do a parked regen it run for around 10 to 25 min and kicks out and the regen light still flashes.

My mechanic does us the Detroit diagnostic link but i dont know if he looks at the pre, catalyst,and outlet temps. but when he does a forced regen it does complete.

I am going back tomorrow morning and will have him look at that and the egr valve.I well let you know tomorrow.

10. ribella

ribella Bobtail Member

May 18, 2015
    Got a update but not a good one.

took the truck in and he connected the Detroit Diagnostic Link and the two faults were
    soot level high and doser fuel supply abnormal.

so he tried to do a force regen and it didn't complete,It kicked it out in about 25min. While the regen was running i asked if he was looking at pre, catalyst,and outlet temps and the egr being closed and he said they are all normal.

the reason why it kicked out of regen was the dozer fuel supply abnormal.

after a few hours of diagnosis i dont know how he came to a conclusion that the turbo actuator was bad and that was the problem. He then replace it and did the regen again and it was still the same.

After spending my whole day their i was so pissed at him and told him that you cant be changing parts left and right and took the truck and left.

on the way from his shop i saw a freighliner dealer and drove straight to service department and asked them if they had time to look at my truck,they took it in and told me they need 2 hour labor to do a diagnostic which i agreed and left the truck their. After coming home i received a call from them and they are saying that they need an additional 2 hours to diagnose because when they tried to do a regen it kicked out and they have to do more diagnostics.Which i agreed to because at this point i am helpless.

their going to call me when their done.

11. 4vmach1

4vmach1 Light Load Member

Apr 3, 2013
    Los Angeles, CA
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.