Detroit coolant issues

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by KittyKicker, Nov 11, 2019.

1. KittyKicker

KittyKicker Light Load Member

Dec 27, 2015
    Correct, that cycle is while going down the road. The temperature seems to stay steady in the normal operating temps at idle. Right at 180.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
    This is what I would do (1) replace thermostats AND SEALS (many don't replace seal) (2) since coolant will be drained, blow shop air through your heater core by disconnecting both rubber lines at inlet/outlet of core as close to firewall as possible. When you refill coolant do not fill to tip top of neck. You must give room for expansion.

4. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Mines doing the same thing, Don’t think it’s pushing any water, though. Just replaced Waterpump, as it was leaking, new hoses. Got straight water in it now, Was hoping I had air pockets in system, but I think the thermostats got out of whack, while I ran it low on coolant. It’s happened before, usually after overheating. Did you get yours fixed? I was going to suggest shutting off water valve, if you have an air over electric heater control valve on either the bunk or Cab. A bad one will put air into the system, Usually not until the Cab or Bunk hits the temp setting on heater control knob, then valve closes, and air leaks into the coolant. Puts a lot of pressure, 130 lbs or so, all of a sudden. Hard to diagnose, since it depends on heater temp setting, and is intermittently either full on or full off.

KittyKicker Thanks this.
  5. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    You can tell by looking at heat control valves, if there’s a small air line running to it. It’s air/ electric type.

6. KittyKicker

KittyKicker Light Load Member

Dec 27, 2015
    Mine ended up being a bad head gasket. Pulled the head off and ended up doing an inframe because it looked like Fitzgerald put the motor together with junk yard parts.

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I bet you the entire Ranch your radiator cap is weak, tired, insufficient pressure at that cap. Toss it on a cap tester and pull pressure, its going to pop at way less than required factory design pressure.

I had that happen several times and all the kings men and shops could not trace it until I remembered my old 302 ford doing the same #### thing with a weak 3.00 cap long ago. The engine was badly designed as it was but we knew nothing in them days. (Manifold cooling plumbing was not optimal)

8. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    Good point, I’m going for new thermostats and cap, That covers everything. My trouble started when waterpump started leaking. Just hoping I didn’t cook the head gasket, running it that way.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.