Detroit DD15: overhaul or engine replacement

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Bean87, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013
    You don't usually get a warning followed immediately by a failure, though it can happen. The o-rings on the pickup tubes harden over time and gradually start leaking. When it happened to me I saw no problem with my oil pressure while driving, but the low oil pressure working would come on when I came to a stop. The pressure was down to between 7 and 10 PSI, where it had normally been 16 to 20 during idle.

If you watch your oil pressure over time you have a good chance of spotting this problem as it starts to develope.

Jarhed1964 and Magoo1968 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SouthernKomfort

SouthernKomfort Bobtail Member

May 31, 2020
    On my 2016 FL Cascadia DD15 I have a FL warranty up to 550k. I noticed low oil pressure and one FL replaced my O-Rings and replaced the the oil pan gasket at 480K through the warranty. Question#1 is the pick up tubes part of the oil pan job?

Continual Emission issue:
    I have taken my truck into several different FL for this same issue. I keep pulling a code SPN 102 FMI 18 Air Intake manifold Derate 25% They fix it but when I leave I’m about 90-100 miles out and the exact same code and description pops up every time I leave the dealer.

ALL of the FL’s I took it to said it was a clogged DOC & software update. I was instructed to keep my RPMS at 1500-1650. At the same time I replaced my DPF (didn’t know you could boil them) That was a fortune!! And after the DOC unclogged and a new DPF installed, I left and not even 100 miles out, the same #### code!!!
    It seems now when I go to my local FL the service manager tries to avoid me because I’m coming back in for the same code they supposedly fixed. I’m wondering is there something they know that I don’t? I still have 60k left on the warranty (engine, oil leaks and after treatment).

I left disgusted and found out about a treatment called Diesel Force (after I had already replaced the DPF‍). It deep cleans out the soot and build up in the after treatment system (EGR, SCR, DOC DPF) and the sensors. I went to get it done and mentioned my repeated code. The mechanic said air was leaking it was two rubber plastic seals with metal clamps that goes around that big long pipe on the passenger side of the engine (brain block) I replaced those and did the treatment. I will say the truck runs effortlessly vs that bogged down feeling BUT again not 100 miles out and the same code popped up!!!!!

I have worked sooo hard taking care of my truck and to get this issue resolved for almost 2 years. I was told I have a good truck and they can tell it’s been taken care of. I have had no major issues just typical maintenance. It’s these effing emissions and sensors.

Sorry for the novel but this has been going on for a while and I’m about to get rid of it and get a pre emissions truck.

Thank you,
    A very frustrated Muther Trucker

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    Jarhed1964 and trees Thank this.
  4. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Have you had your charge air cooler pressure tested.
    The code is basically for low air intake boost pressure. Dirty air filter, boost leak, weak turbo pressure,

5. 757Trucker

757Trucker Bobtail Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Check the ACM harness. i had #### near my whole DEF system replaced. code popped up derate on and off. took into shop mechanic said most of your parts are new and he saw the ACM was rusted and full of water and debris. he replaced it and no code for weeks. he also said somebody rewired it wrong i was pissed

Jarhed1964 Thanks this.
  6. NCTru919

NCTru919 Bobtail Member

Apr 23, 2021
    I want to go check out this truck that is 10 hours round trip. The guy said he had an out of frame rebuild done with paperwork. I asked him for the vin so I could verify as well before making the drive. Is there a place I could check with the vin. It’s a Freightliner

Jarhed1964 Thanks this.
  7. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Have him send you the paperwork and take it to a dealer and see if it's legit.
    Also, Rigdig will tell you if it's been in an accident

8. NCTru919

NCTru919 Bobtail Member

Apr 23, 2021
    Awesome thank you!

9. NCTru919

NCTru919 Bobtail Member

Apr 23, 2021
    Had a lien and 2 accidents. You saved me 10 hours and possibly a terrible investment. Thank you!

10. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Gotta do your homework.
    It's a pretty big investment.
    Well done

NCTru919 Thanks this.
  11. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Here's your hook up young man
    @Dave_in_AZ
    You're welcome

NCTru919 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.