Detroit diesel 60 series problem

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by GNVTrucking, Feb 12, 2019.

1. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Wonder if they stuffed the wrong hard parts into the engine during the rebuild?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas

I have rebuilt three engines in my life time, A 48 cadillac V8, a Ford 8 yard dump truck single screw big block, approximately 500 CID gasoline and a third engine whose work is in sufficient to recall and ran really badly due to teacher displacing me from that one and having less ideal classmates ham fist the tools on it. Or in it actually. We did that work in what you call Vocational Auto Shop, a state provided deaf school course in auto mechanics that provided at that time a complete shop. Engines, alignment and brakes were my most common work. Even some body and a dab of everything else.

With that said, no part of the engine were.. "Not" in it's chosen home anywhere in that engine room which was only opened to me to work on. I had to endure physical assault, abuse and outright damage against me either in the dorm, in sports during gym (Which included a one versus 30 running battle for a hour which really boosted my confidence...) due to jealousy from the entire Shop classmates. I was leaning towards becoming a person who built engines for older cars and avoid computer engines which were a new retail thing back then.

It is possible to misplace or have a part walk away when there is alot of traffic.

4. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Sounds like bad turbo boost sensor, mine did just that.

jamespmack and swaan Thank this.
  5. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    Boost sensor.... the 3 pounds of boost with engine off should of been your first clue.

6. GNVTrucking

GNVTrucking Bobtail Member

Feb 12, 2019
    That's the first thing they checked .

Rideandrepair and x1Heavy Thank this.
  7. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    But you never said they put a new sensor on. If its reading 3 pounds with engine off it's no good. For all you know it might be stuck at 3 or 5 psi and the ecm wont give it any more fuel.

To be clear, did they replace the sensor? And does it still read 3 psi??

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  8. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    Also that bolt on the actuator must be in the right spot.....

Rideandrepair and x1Heavy Thank this.
  9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Why cannot we make a decent turbo charger that will do the work without anything to screw it up. //part rhetorical question. If we keep screwing up breaking turbos, then start installing super chargers on there. Nothing outrageous, just a scoop on the hood top to draw in cold air and ether now and then.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  10. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    There's lots good chargers out there.

Crude Truckin' and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  11. 4vmach1

4vmach1 Light Load Member

Apr 3, 2013
    Los Angeles, CA
    Check your turbo VPOD with DDDL and make sure it's not leaking air when its activated from the input/output setting, It's located on the passenger side of the engine towards the back bottom of the cylinder block. That can cause the turbo to not work and boost correctly with a loss of power. Some times simple VPOD's cause a ton of power loss and the old school folks automatically start thinking it's injectors, turbos and all sorts of major components. If that doesn't work out for you send me a email or private message and ill try to help as much as possible.

GNVTrucking and swaan Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.