Detroit DT12 shifting problems

Discussion in 'Western Star Forum' started by NorCenArk, Jan 18, 2023.

1. NorCenArk

NorCenArk Light Load Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Russellville, AR

2. NorCenArk

Mar 31, 2011
    Russellville, AR
    My transmission has not rev up between shifts after I changed transmission oil and about 1500 miles. I made sure to buy the right spec oil for my year of transmission. Had dealer change the oil before and wonder if they used the newer spec oil which I don't think is backward compatible.

Timm1q Thanks this.
  3. Timm1q

Timm1q Bobtail Member

Mar 14, 2022
    What oil did you use?

4. Lockport

Lockport Light Load Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Lockport, MB, CAN
    Update: Tranny was dropped again and metal filings were found inside. It is worth noting that this unit has 800,000 miles on it. A rebuild was put in from a Canadian firm. 2yr guarantee as opposed to Daimler Rebuilt with 1yr. I tracked the old unit as I had the serial number and got in contact with the rebuilder and asked if they would let me know what they found. The dealer didn't even advise or document the rebuilder. I had the wherewithal to ask.
    They did say the split pin was in the casing. Fault the dealer repair. But the play in the input shaft was significant. They said the opening was oblong. The 3rd gear was gone. Replacing might be your consideration as dropping these units out for any service is costly. You don't want to be neck in it in 12 mo. I also replaced the TCU at the time. Around $20,000 in November 2023 and I'd spent $8-9k in Feb 2023

5. NorCenArk

Mar 31, 2011
    Russellville, AR
    Delo Syn-AMT 75W90 for a 2016 DT12. Later models use a different spec.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.