Detroit series 60 12.7 programming ecu

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Tomek373, Sep 9, 2021.

1. Tomek373

Tomek373 Bobtail Member

Mar 12, 2021
    Hello I have 97 FLD 120 classic that I got off auction with s60 12.7. I swapped motor in it for slightly used mk60 model (430/470hp at 2100) I have also ordered and replaced ecu for DDEC 4( it was programmed for my new engines serial number ) since the one that was originally with truck was DDEC3. Before ecu swap everything was working fine but after that my engine fan keeps running my Jakes and cruise control don’t work and I can’t up my idle rpm( I believe the issue is that the motor came out of Sterling and they programmed ecu for sterling). Original engine in truck was rated at 500hp at 2100 and dealer told me to fix my issues we have to upload original program for the vin number into the ecu . Is that safe to do since it’s a different motor and original motor was 500 and not 430/470?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. benjamin260_6

benjamin260_6 Medium Load Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    It's better to have the proper parameters for the engine like you have now then have them go in and change what needs to be changed on the truck side of the program so that everything works. If they don't know how to do that they shouldn't even have a laptop and certainly shouldn't be charging money to use it

AModelCat, Magoo1968 and QUALITYTRUCK Thank this.
  4. Tomek373

Tomek373 Bobtail Member

Mar 12, 2021
    Do you know maybe if it’s possible to make my Jake brakes, cruise control and engine fan work normally without completely changing the ecu programming ? Everything works fine it’s just these 3 things I had one mechanic try to change that but he said he couldn’t do it so I just left it at Freightliner dealer right now hoping they can get it done.

5. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I think there were some changes, between 97-99 on Freightliners and Detroit’s having to do with sensors. I think Ddec4 eliminates a few of them, and incorporates them into a power control module that’s mounted in the fuse panel. Fan operation is one of the things it controls, and maybe the temp sensor, and one or two others. Can’t remember, but you can look it up, might be connected to your problem. Maybe the ddec4 needs the pcm? Maybe Truck doesn’t have one? I don’t really know. Another Bulletin upgrade Freightliner had on the fan on my 99 included a pigtail harness that splices into the fan solenoid, before I did that the fan would come on for no reason at all. That was a Freightliner specific problem. I’d read about it, though no one seemed to have heard of it. I asked every Dealer I could. Finally after having the Truck for a few yrs. Freightliner in Youngstown Ohio knew exactly what I was talking about. Sold Me the harness pigtail kit, and even loaned Me the special crimp tool to splice it in. My current 2000s fan does it sometimes. I wonder if it needs the upgrade. It also has a pcm in fuse panel. I wonder if it’s bad. I just haven’t worried too much about it all, everything else seems good. The only other thing, maybe the cruise/ jakes are a separate issue. Usually a bad safety switch on the clutch will make both inoperable. You can jump the wires and bypass it easily, to diagnose it. Might also want to rule out bad dash switches, while you’re at it.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
  6. benjamin260_6

benjamin260_6 Medium Load Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    It's just a few settings in the ecm that need to be changed. The dealer should be able to do it and if they can't, go somewhere else form now on because it's one of the most basic things there is

Magoo1968 and AModelCat Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.