Detroit series 60 15:1 issues

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by DDS60, Feb 21, 2018.

1. DDS60

DDS60 Light Load Member

so my truckhas had an inframe with 15:1 pistons and now I have horrible smoke on startup. Goes away once warm but in cold days it could take 20 mins or longer.

Will be going back into it to fix the issue. Would like to know how do I find out which 16.5:1 piston kit would be and if there is one that’s a straight bolt in. It’s a ddec 3 gk motor. Has a different cam and injectors in it. Cam is 4292 and injectors are 5915 I believe.

Any help or even conversation on the subject is welcome and appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gseweb

gseweb Bobtail Member

May 24, 2013
    Welcome to the club. I’ve been scratching my head for 2 years trying to figure out why my 12.7 smoked on cold after the rebuild. Recently saw an article by the guy from PP describing this issue. Basically, he says that if you rebuild gk and pk pre-egr 12.7s with oem parts, it would guarantee to smoke (white) on cold. He thinks oem parts are to blame. Mine is pk, but I used the kit from PAI and had the same cold smoke. So I think it has something to do with a lower compression, or a bad install/breakin, or the combination of both. And PP says they tried to fix the problem to no avail. Thus, his recommendation was to upgrade to bk; i.e. put 16.5 to 1 pistons, cam, injectors (and probably jakes).

So you already upgraded cam and injectors. So did I. However, we both seem to still see the same cold smoke. What’s left is pistons. If you manage to find the right kit with 16.5:1 and heavy pins, please do share the part number. OEM only. I’m having a little trouble, for folks at Detroit are not helpful.

4. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    Why don't you guys simply phone PP and order the proper 16.5 kits.
    I mean he obviously knows about the issue and has the proper kits I'm sure.. no?

5. GrapeApe

GrapeApe Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Sounds like you had a low-NOx inframe kit, was the ECM reflashed to the low NOx tune? I've seen several that didn't and they smoked white when cold. A reflash fixed them. A cob job way to fix them is to set them to run on 1/2 mode when cold. They'll stop smoking when you start it, but will smoke if you release the brake before they warm up. If 1/2 mode masks the problem, get it reflashed. Or overhaul it again with the higher compression pistons.

If you read page 2 on these instructions, they tell you that you mush reflash the ECM when using these kits.
    https://ddcsn-ddc.freightliner.com/cps/rde/xbcr/ddcsn/18SP374.PDF

6. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    This is also what many Detroit's do when around freezing temps to help warm the engine? It a even tune for cold temp warmup.

7. DDS60

DDS60 Light Load Member

I’m in Canada. And don’t want the hassle of warranty issues on the kit dealing with them. If they even sell the kit. He clearly stated he wasn’t interested in giving out the information.

I’ll read that attachment. The ecm was not reflagged. But why would it have to be? Maybe it’s in the attvhement lol so I will read it. How can I set it in 1/2 mode? It will be getting an overhaul. But I just want to be sure the pistons are direct replacement with no other interference consequences.

I own 3 series 60 motors and none of them smoke.until this one was inflamed. They all puffed one stroke of white/grey and were clear. Unless parked outside and started cold without being plugged in long. This one will put you to your knees even when it’s parked inside our shop when it’s in the pluses outside.

8. GrapeApe

GrapeApe Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2013
    You need the DDDL software to set it in 1/2 mode for warm up. Really it's just a bandaid fix though, but it can reduce the smoke until you get it fixed. The calibration flash is to re-tune the engine for the lower compression ratio/low NOx rebuild kit. The letter I linked to is just says that you need to reflash the ECM with the low-NOx calibration to match the overhaul kit.

9. gseweb

gseweb Bobtail Member

May 24, 2013
    Hmm, suppose the absence of low Nox recalibration could be the cause. My motor is 98 build, so fits into that category. I just wonder how come PP didn’t seem to consider that. Moreover, the guy mentioned they had spent thousands of $ trying to fix the prob. Here’s the link to his article:
    Movin' Out - High Performance Diesel Engines

And what I’ve had is exactly how he described. In cold it will smoke white (a bit blueish), smells like crap and goes away when you start driving and warms up; but no power, oil, or coolant loss either, just annoying.

He also says in the article that the actual compression is gonna be always less than 16.5:1, but doesn’t elaborate how much less.

10. DDS60

DDS60 Light Load Member

Ya I read it. I’m curious how to tell if the inframe kit was a low nox and what the actual difference is. If I get a hold of dddl before it goes in for inframe then I’ll do that.

I seen also mentioned bad or improper break in. My truck also uses a large consumption of oil. But it was driven straight to wajax for a break in dyno and then hauled some heavy pulling loads for a while after. It also went back to cat for another break in dyno to see if it could be smartened up. Both said blowby was well within specs. I believe .75 was the reading. Cubic inches per minute or however it’s calculated. Also is factory tuned 370 hp that put 443 to the rear tires which I thought was pretty decent. It pulls good and runs good but uses oil and the raw fuel will choke you right out. It can’t be good for the liners.

11. DDS60

DDS60 Light Load Member

I think they might be slinging a little bs in the article. I don’t see how the jakes play into it. An they are saying that machining the head might be something needing to be done. Over complicating it for confusion so that the money they spend is only for their benefit or whatever.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.