Detroit software and manuals

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Oscar the KW, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Animosus

Animosus Medium Load Member

Dec 7, 2015
    SE Wyoming
    Yup, even as a dealer we now have to go through our local snap-on guy to order everything.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. vikingswen

vikingswen Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2012
    In the Stratosphere
    I got signed up with DTNA and got my username and password the same day. I looked around a bit and it has a lot of useful info for sure.

4. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    buy original usblink2 only from authorized dealer. what year is your dd16 ?

5. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
  6. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    I have seen bombed free version of diagnosticlink 8.04 Pro on mhhauto.com. forget about paying $500 yearly for standard version which has very limited functionality.

7. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    This is what I did for the software. $500 a year for a standard version subscription. All the manuals come with it and updated constantly.
    I bought my adapter from Dearborn electronics. It works great.
    https://www.dgtech.com/dearbornprotocoladapter/

GrapeApe Thanks this.
  8. GrapeApe

GrapeApe Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2013
    There is cracked versions of most software. Be aware that they are illegal. I'm not judging anyone, just making people aware of the risks. The ECMs log the tool ID # and some other info every time you hook to it, and this audit trail is sent to Detroit for any warranty work. It may not be enough info for them to catch you, but it is enough of a reason to void all warranty.

I had this happen once at my last job. Our tool ID was good, but when sending a log file to Detroit to get approval for injectors under warranty, they said that the last few tool ID #'s were illegal software. I was instructed to stop working on it and have the customer call an 800 #. I don't know what happened after that, he paid for the time we had in it and took his truck. Not worth the trouble to save $500/year IMO.

Oscar the KW and uncleal13 Thank this.
  9. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    I will not use cracked version of DL to change parameters/ratings if truck is under warranty. However not all procedures can be seen at audit trial. In audit trial you can see parameter, rating, clock,... changes. fault code clearing does not get recorded . So actually you can use cracked soft to clear codes and it will not be recorded. Now few things about that $500 per year software. What you can't do by using it ? :) You CAN'T change parameters, ratings, enter injector's codes, do routine testings like ISB, DEF Flood, ... ( more than 10 most important tests fuel and aftertreatment system related) . You will get 'Negative Response' message. if you need full working DL you need to pay $1500 per year and get Pro version of DL read/write level 4 . it's not easy to get it because DD sells it to approved shops.
    my truck is out of warranty and I use cracked version of DL. if somebody will ask me who used illegal DL on your truck I will say Jose Hernandez who now lives in Tijuana . that's it. The basic version of DL MUST BE FREE BECAUSE THEIR'S PRODUCT DD PLATFORM ENGINE IS A POS. IT'S NOT MONEY MAKER ENGINE FOR US. IT'S A MONEY MAKEY FOR DETROIT DIESEL CORPORATION.

10. GrapeApe

GrapeApe Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Actually it does record the tool ID for the last 10 computers hooked to it. It does not matter if you change anything or not, it's hidden in the audit trail coding. Not an issue if it's not under warranty, I agree, but it's important that people understand that warranty could be an issue, especially on the original posters 2015 engine. Like I said, I'm not judging you, to each his own.

I don't know where you got the impression that a legal copy was so limited, but it's not true. I have a legal copy of DiagnosticLink 8.05 Standard. I CAN (and have) changed customer parameters, do all diagnostic tests and service routines, access to trouble shooting manuals, program injector codes. The only think I can't do is reflash ECM's, which I didn't see the need to pay extra for just that. I was quoted $800/year (not $1500) for Pro Version. The Pro version is read write/level 2. Level 3 is the engineering level. Unless they changed something in the past few months, read/write level 4 does not exist. It is made up hype by the software crackers to sell their illegal software. I even seen one claim level 9, it's all BS, there are only 3 levels.

vikingswen Thanks this.
  11. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    i have used legal basic/standard version.The license owner paid $500 for one year. No way to change parameters, ratings, 2-3 service routines are available, no way to do ISB test. Uncleal13 has a legal copy of DL Standard version. Ask him can he change parameters or not. Pro version is $1500 for single use license . I have my guy working at DD and he told me that. I just checked my DL 8.04 Pro. It shows read level 3, write level 3 and hardware level 4. I can do anything I need. No way to program Sam Modules and reflash ECM's because login ID needed for that. if I could access Sam modules with standard version I would pay that $500.

uncleal13 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.