Diabetes Concern

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by wfutch79, May 2, 2017.

1. wfutch79

wfutch79 Medium Load Member

Jul 1, 2013
    St. Petersburg, Florida
    Sorry if this is not the proper place to ask this but it seemed the most appropriate.

I am preparing to take my very first DOT Physical and I have Type 2 Diabetes, it is controlled with diet and medication. I do not require insulin. My "normal" is in upper 100's, sometimes creeps up in to the lower 200's.

The issue is that I have not had blood work done in almost a year, a lot has changed and I lost my medical coverage when I lost my job last year. Luckily I have went to the same doctor for a very long time and she has kept my prescriptions current to help me out.

I read that most physicians will want to review your latest blood work results to check your A1C, if it is not available they will do a standard finger prick blood test and base their decision off that. Has anyone experienced this with their physical, having diabetes of course? I also read that some physicians will take your daily log of your own finger prick tests, I do check my sugar a couple of times a day and keep very accurate records of the results. Anyone use this for that part of the physical?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    No they dont want to check it. I am type 2. They will have you pee in a cup and do a dip test to see if sugar in your urine. If there is they will do a finger stick test. If it is above 200 then they will want to see your A1C results. I go through this every year. Keep on your meds. A week before eat very healthy, salads, no bread, no soda. Workout. Even if you just walk and do situps. Check your sugar before you go and make sure it is below 200. If you have any questions let me know.

wfutch79 Thanks this.
  4. wfutch79

Jul 1, 2013
    St. Petersburg, Florida
    That is my plan. I am cutting out all starches and watching my carb intake, that stuff turns to sugar really quick! I have cut out all soda and man do I love my Mountain Dew. I was going to fast the night before and check myself before I left the house and make sure I am under 200.

5. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    Dont fast. Your sugar goes up if you dont eat. Eat a smart dinner about 6. Do a work out then drink water through out the night. Take the test as early as you can the next morning.

wfutch79 Thanks this.
  6. wfutch79

Jul 1, 2013
    St. Petersburg, Florida
    Sounds like a plan. I plan to go to the clinic as soon as they open so I can get in and out.

7. ogre1977

ogre1977 Bobtail Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Spudville, Idaho
    Also probably depends on what doctor you go to. Two years ago I went in for a DOT Physical and the doc found sugar in my urine. He told me to go to my family doctor and get it checked out, but he gave me a card for 1 year.

Some clinics might be more strict than others.

Turns out I'm a type 2 diabetic. At first I responded well to the Metformin, but then my blood sugar went through the roof and now my doctor has doubled my meds.

8. wfutch79

Jul 1, 2013
    St. Petersburg, Florida
    I am type 2 as well, take Metformin myself. I am doing 1000mg twice a day and have got my diet under control and have been consistently under 200. Most of the docs near me that do physicals are chiropractors and just do the physicals on the side, not sure how serious they take them since they are a side gig for them. I have ready and been advised if your sugar is under 200 you are good to go, at least according to the DOT guidelines.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.