Diary of a current Swift flatbed driver

Discussion in 'Swift' started by schmud0811, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Shardrk

Shardrk Light Load Member

Aug 14, 2011
    Macon, GA
    Wow! Just dropped in to see what's been posted, and review where I left off. I finished up with first Mentor, and went to Laredo to get together with my Flatbed Mentor. Good guy. Company star and Poster Child for Safe Miles. Excellent Flatbedder, and pretty good Mentor too. <chuckle> Wouldn't you know, first week with him was almost all van loads. Them's the breaks. So I reviewed info, watched videos, and asked questions in between driving. Then we got more of the flatbed loads. Was most excellent experience. Wish I'd had more of them.

Finished up that phase of training, and we hauled our rear ends to Phoenix. I could have tested out in Gary, as we were there, but he was being forced (yep, forced) to accept a new truck. I did manage to get tested to solo, and got my truck assigned. They were going to give me a white one, but I held out for the white one instead. Got it equipped, ran it thru the tire shop, regular shop, and body shop to have most of the things fixed. I still have a few mostly minor annoyances that are not fixed, but have been living with em. What the heck, I'll probably only be in it for 2 years anyway.

Got my first load to get me back home. Yep, you guessed it. Van load to T-call at home terminal. <chuckle> Home time was nice, but too short. Yes, you CAN repeat that for every home time I've ever had, or am likely to have. Sure is a good thing I love driving.

Yep, I wound up with Schmud as my DL. That poor man. Truth, it's been pretty good. We have been adjusting to each other, while I've been adjusting to things related to Swift, Qualcomm, and Flatbedding. I have to say I REALLY LOVE the Pre-Pass. I didn't realize how much that would be true when they talked about it during training/orientation. Every time that beep and green flash happens so I don't have to go into the scales, I flash it the thumbs up, OK, and thumbs up (again) signs, just so it keeps on working for the next scale. Ok, so I don't really mind the scales that much, since we don't really get bothered that much in them (if you've paid attention to your truck and loads), but it just tickles me to the quick to jump past the line of trucks. That way they can pass me again a few miles down the road. Again. <chuckle>

Tom has kept me hopping when I've let him. I'm actually still in the process (it feels like) of adjusting to the routine and rhythm of being back on the road. Oddly enough, I credit the HOS rules, and Swift policies with making that easier for me. I still have cringing type memories from 17 yrs ago with 'the other guys'. I think I'm pretty close to having a routine to do a run and get into the next one. All while not burning out, staying safe, and getting good miles, and squeezing in those 'minor pleasures' that can make the whole day worthwhile, such as finding that Waffle House (if you like em as much as I do) across the street from your end of day stop.

Have been making enough to eat, buy stuff to supply truck with items I've wanted, and send some home when it's been most needed also. So I have to say it's been real good. Yep, every time I tarp, or untarp, I have to ask myself "Now WHY did I want to go Flatbed again?" So far the answer is still the same. "Because I'm demented!!!"

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Nordic Light

Nordic Light Bobtail Member

Oct 2, 2012
    Everett, WA
    Excellent thread and posts here. I am returning to driving after a long absence. Going with Swift with the end goal to run Flatbed. Orientation for experienced drivers is in Sumner WA. Am told I will drill down in Dry Van with Mentor for phase one and then segway to Flatbed training in Phoenix. Any input on the process or experience from Flatlanders would be helpful. Thanks and stay safe out there!

Mattchu Thanks this.
  4. ge23ll

ge23ll Light Load Member

May 14, 2009
    weimar, ca
    what kinda loads do you guy's haul.

5. dieselgrl

dieselgrl Light Load Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Been away from here for a little bit, so since I'm on a week long "Van-cation" (got a sweet van load out west to stage me for better things for the moment), I'd load a few of my recent flatbed loads photos. That last one, "generic machinery" didn't pay enough to tarp. It was a nightmare, and I spent a few hours watching the engineers hotwire the conveyors with an extension cord, but the crew that bought it in Mexico was quite helpful and Nefti, their point man and I got it buttoned down overall pretty quickly with his limited english but willingness to help and learn and my very basic spanish "Aqui! Uno mas por favor. Gracias!") Tarp survived the trip from Ohio to Laredo with only two very small tears easily repaired before rerolling. The guys with TransMex had fun duplicating my work once I dropped it at the yard.

480639_10151461627298139_362334476_n.jpg
    482606_10151433664503139_2019218366_n.jpg

(BEFORE)

19818_10151441789753139_1600347386_n.jpg

(AFTER)
    857953_10151441789333139_139831322_o.jpg

(Framerails)
    858407_10151463272128139_1063103480_o.jpg

Mattchu Thanks this.
  6. Ohgodimadad

Ohgodimadad Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2013
    hell yes he said that! that is funnier than ####..... thanks....

7. Trucker west

Trucker west Bobtail Member

Jun 10, 2016
    Hey man trucker west here I'm with Western express flatbed thinking about going to swift flatbed

8. plant

plant Heavy Load Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    This is an old thread man, OP is a florist now. But if you have any Qs about swift FB, start a new thread.

9. SteveH85396

SteveH85396 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Waddell, AZ
    When I last saw Tom (the "OP" in question) it was fall of 2014 and he was an accounts manager with Swift flatbed in Phoenix. I tried to look him up Jan 2016 and they told me he quit to sell medical marijuana.

10. Trucker west

Trucker west Bobtail Member

Jun 10, 2016
  11. plant

plant Heavy Load Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yea he was dispatching lowes and cmc up until about 6 months ago. And I was trying to be discrete calling him a florist but apparently everyone knows anyway so it doesn't matter.

Oh yea and you still owe me beer.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.