Diary of a current Swifty

Discussion in 'Swift' started by 1nonly, Feb 15, 2010.

1. 1nonly

1nonly tease-y-ness

Jul 2, 2008
    The burning sands of the SW
    I figured I'd start a thread detailing my experiences as a Swift driver. I'm seeing lots of newbies asking about Swift. Perhaps I can shed some light on what to expect.

First, some history. I came to Swift in Feb 2007 as an experienced driver. I know next to nothing about their training, so please don't ask. There are many good threads about Swift training. I am based out of the Jonestown(Harrisburg) terminal. I drive solo van OTR (all 48 ).

And now to start my "diary"

I was in Ocala FL for some hometime early in the month. I was due four days, but it ended up being extended because I needed some work done on the tractor and the shop had to order a part which took a week to arrive. The truck was fixed and I became available for work on Feb 10. They gave me a load which was there at the yard. It was a split load that delivered on the 11th in Alachua and Ft Pierce. (total paid miles-288, plus $15 for the extra stop)

When I got to the Walmart in Ft Pierce, it was supposed to be a drop and hook. However, there were no empties at the customer. I was already planned on a load for the next day picking up in Clewiston at 0900. (total paid miles-1614) I sent a message immediately saying I needed directions to an empty. I didn't get a response until the next morning when they told me to go back to Walmart and see if they had a empty now. They didn't, and I sent in another message saying I needed directions to an empty. An hour later, I told them I no longer had time to get an empty and get the load ontime. They finally sent me directions and said "just get there ASAP"

I got to the warehouse where the "empty" was only to find out it wasn't empty. So I had to wait for them to unload it before I could leave. I finally got to Clewiston about noon. They loaded me promptly and I was on my way. By now the schedule was tight. I had to deliver in Oakland IA this morning at 0730. I made it, but I really had to drive hard to do it.

Now I'm planned on a load from North Sioux City, SD to Lebanon, TN. (total paid miles-982) I can't get to the load though, because the freeway is closed. So Swift rescheduled for 0700 tomorrow. The freeway should be open by then.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. road dust

road dust Road Train Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Thanks for starting this thread. I look forward to reading what it is like for an experienced driver working for Swift.

1nonly Thanks this.
  4. 1nonly

1nonly tease-y-ness

Jul 2, 2008
    Well, the freeway didn't open until afternoon on Tuesday. By the time I finally got up to Sioux City, the customer had my load already on a trailer, so I did a drop and hook and left for Lebanon. Customer Service scheduled my appointment for 1400 on Thursday.

( A little sidetrack here. Occasionally Swift planners will send out a preplan without an appointment time on the delivery. It will be listed as 00:00-00:00. This happens when the shipper is ready with a load and no one is available at the consignee to make an appt. It's rare, but watch out for it. Once you've got the load, pester as needed until they get you an appt and let you know what that appt is. There has been two occasions when someone in Customer Service made an appt for me and didn't tell me what the appt was. Sounds stupid, but it has happened. So CYA)

While I was being unloaded in Lebanon, I got a preplan for a load from Owensboro, KY to York, PA (720 paid miles). The pickup was at Unilever, and they had a lot of Swift trailers loaded and ready to go. Plenty of work there!! There was an open delivery window on the load. I can deliver anytime up to midnight tomorrow. My 70 is running low, so I'm taking my time on this one. I'm currently at the Swift terminal in Columbus, OH and I can say their snow removal here leaves something to be desired. It's a mess, plain and simple.

5. gearrat

gearrat Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2010
    az
    sounds good to me.

6. jmitch4

jmitch4 Bobtail Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Princeton, West Virginia
    I just left columbus wednesday was there for orientation. I can attetest to the snow removal, one driver fell on the walk and broke his leg in several places and had to be flown home to phoenix

7. gearrat

Jan 17, 2010
    az
    #### that sucks. you would think they would do a little better job

8. 1nonly

1nonly tease-y-ness

Jul 2, 2008
    I didn't hear about that. That's horrible:biggrin_25513:. Something to be aware of as a driver, though. Many truck stops don't do a very good job on snow removal, either. Usually the walks are kept clear, but you gotta walk across the lot to get to your truck, and the lots are almost always icy. Be careful out here, drivers, and not just when you're behind the wheel:biggrin_2557:

I delivered in York last night and had to wait about an hour for an empty. They didn't have one when I got there. I got a preplan this morning for a load picking up in York tonight at 1700 and delivering in Mountain Home, NC at 1700 tomorrow (paid miles 532). I've done this same load a few times before and I was hoping to get it today. It's a good run, lightweight, and I've never had any hassles at either the shipper or consignee.

Today is my 3 year anniversary at Swift. My former DM who now works weekends sent me a QC message this morning about it. There are people who will try to tell you at a company as large as Swift, you will just be a number. In some cases, you will be. But the folks at your home terminal will know your name and they will remember things like your Birthday. That's been my experience, anyway.

Vic1031, JustSonny, GoBlue487 and 8 others Thank this.
  9. gearrat

Jan 17, 2010
    az
    looks like you got a good run there. and congrats on three years with swift

1nonly Thanks this.
  10. 1nonly

1nonly tease-y-ness

Jul 2, 2008
    This is going to turn into a very boring thread. But if any of you are keeping track of my miles, here's what I've done since the last post. I got a load from Henderson, NC to Shelbyville, TN (paid miles 309). The next load was Lewisburg, TN to Brown Summit, NC (paid miles 515). Tomorrow I pickup a load in Lexington, NC going to Savannah, GA (paid miles 347).

I've been getting planned before I'm empty, which is great. Usually I don't get a preplan until after delivery. This is certainly a change from this time last year when I had a 1-2 day wait between every load!

alex94, Cooper09, scatruck and 2 others Thank this.
  11. whydontchahey

whydontchahey Light Load Member

Nov 9, 2007
    Ohio
    It's not boring at all. It is intersteing just see how your loads fall. Places you get to go. And if you keep updating for extented months. Expierenced drivers could read the whole thread and kinda see what loads might be available in certain areas. So please keep the thread going! I will be following for sure. Drive Safe!!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.