Did I do something wrong at this intersection? Video attached.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Don379, Oct 17, 2021.

1. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    Yes it’s a tight turn.....absolutely no reason to turn from the left lane like that other than just plain lazy.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    we've all done it..
    But splitting the lane obviously isn't enough room as 2 trucks do the same thing.

That swift driver clearly shows that splitting the lanes isn't enough room. He straddles the yellow line. Going in to oncoming traffic and his trailer hits the curb.

When I leave the plant every morning I use the entire straight ahead lane for my left turn as using the actual left turn doesn't give trucks ANY room to make their right hand turn.

I have my left turn signal on and cars stay behind me.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  4. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Looks to me like there's only one lane To use on both streets. Those trucks have every reason to use the second lane.

We all knows you need 2 lanes on both streets to make 65 feet turn.

There's no way one truck was making that turn without using the grass. Or blocking traffic on the street. He would have need 3 lanes to turn. And there's only one..

5. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Yeah,not that hard of a turn.
    You are turning onto/into two available lanes. The curb on the right is quite rounded, the islands have softened curbs so you can just go right over them if you need to.

6. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    On the money.
    I will go one better. Just stop right where you are until you can safely get into the lane you need. Same for me goes for unmarked RR overpasses which may be too low. Stop right where you are until you can proceed safely.
    My take on all of this is the motorists that are going to immediately start blowing horns and waving appendages are the ones that tolerate a poorly designed or marked road system. If they don't want the delays, then they should contact their representative and do something about it.

SoulScream84, PoleCrusher and 201 Thank this.
  7. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Of course you were in the right, but there's plenty of headstones that say "They were in the right, but died anyway". Anytime you pass a line of traffic like that, you have to be aware that someone might make a mistake, and you were lucky you caught it. Makes you a good driver. This is nothing more than defensive driving at it's best, even more important than ever today. I know there's no way of knowing what someone will do, but you did a great job,, maybe going a bit fast, but anyone who doesn't see the merit of a dash cam today, shouldn't be driving a truck.

Kyle G. and SoulScream84 Thank this.
  8. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    Turning right from the left lane is not the proper way. A button hook is the proper way, however it’s not my job to teach others to drive or even tell them how to do it. Carry on

JoeyJunk, Kyle G., Long FLD and 2 others Thank this.
  9. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    So you suggest turning in to oncoming traffic?

10. PoleCrusher

PoleCrusher Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    LLMF
    Yep, I've said the same thing myself, many times. If they want to complain, complain to their government "representatives" that have been wasting dollars collected from highway taxes on everything but highways.

11. SoulScream84

SoulScream84 Road Train Member

Mar 21, 2020
    Every driver here sees that this was done incorrectly by previous 2 drivers, but you want to say the driver in the TURN LANE was wrong. Maybe you could hire on as a mega safety director.

OP you handled it correctly, other than missing the turn signal of moron 2. Now, I'm done with this thread before I say something mean which might emotionally damage some other individuals.

201, JoeyJunk and Kyle G. Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.