Did someone say automted trucks?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Dino soar, May 1, 2019.

1. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    No they won't, the first year autonomous vehicles go mainstream in the US accidents are going to go way up, like a15% increase or better, I guarantee it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    You can't compare a few hundred vehicles to millions, and especially a mining operation with plotted points, low speeds, and as controlled environment as possible to real world.

4. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Bet the military won’t do autonomous trucks.

I just realized...if everything went autonomous, a glitch in the GPS system would kill millions.

“Oh, eventually they will be foolproof!”

Only a fool would think that.

Eldiablo, peterd, Dino soar and 3 others Thank this.
  5. JoeTruck

JoeTruck Heavy Load Member

Mar 13, 2015
    LOWER 48
    Like it or not we are heading to the future and the future is automated trucks. First they will be on the highway and we will drive local. After that we won't be needed.

6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I was told one time that a company I worked for was self insured for 250,000 cash before insurance kicked in. So if you got clobbered, it's potentially that much not to have a more expensive trial outcome and increase in rates.

In the past when our vehicle got clobbered by gators and (Tread sections ripped off exploded tires) the company we would call after providing the information has always without fail been willing to wave a wad of money so I can go away.

7. The Gels

The Gels Light Load Member

Apr 13, 2019
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    They use GPS for navigation, but not for lane changing, stopping, etc. If the GPS went out, the vehicle would likely use cell tower triangulation, or just pull to the side and stop.

8. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Of course. Never an issues with cell towers anymore, is there?

9. The Gels

Apr 13, 2019
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    I mean, I'm just putting a scenario. The likely thing is it will just pull over with no directions on where to go. Even our military drones have fail safes built into them for losing signal. The smaller ones are supposed to just crash into the ground so you can recover them, the bigger ones are supposed to just return to base. Note that even that doesn't always work. We launched our little drone in Afghanistan, it lost signal, and just kept flying off into sunset, never to be seen again.

I'm pretty sure it downloads a route, regardless. As I said, it doesn't use the GPS or Cell Tower triangulation to actually drive, that is just directions on where to go. It uses a bunch of cameras and lasers to actually safely drive.

10. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    Pull over ?? More than likely hard brake in a travel lane if it doesn’t know where it’s going

Rubber duck kw and shogun Thank this.
  11. The Gels

Apr 13, 2019
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    I'd hope they are making them smarter than regular human drivers and they wouldn't do this.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.