Did your trainer take home time while "training" you

Discussion in 'Western Express' started by superpet39, Feb 8, 2014.

1. superpet39

superpet39 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Bay Area California
    Just wondering if any current or former western express drivers that had to go out with a trainer had to deal with the trainer taking home time while they were "training"- and if so what's the normal protocol? Does the Trainee HAVE to stay in truck? I'm not asking will I get home because I already know (from what I read) loads or drivers are non existent in regards to Northern California

Needless to say I'm anxious to get out of the trainers truck ASAP (btw how long does it take approx at western to reach 30,000 miles)

lastly is is there anyone that doesn't smoke that drove for them? We're you forced to go out with a smoker?

if i have the choice of waiting on a non smoker I'll make sure I have appropriate funds to keep me waiting- but if I don't; I'll deal with it-without complaining

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. booman

booman Light Load Member

Jul 12, 2011
    winona ms
    Not from western express but when I was a trainer with prime I would ask the the student if he wanted to go home most of them wanted a break after bout 4wk which is well needed so we'll go home for a week then come back n finish up I had one who came home with me so its up to the trainer if its only like a day or two yea you'll probably stay in the truck should be around a area where u can eat n shower but a good trainer will put u in a motel

superpet39 Thanks this.
  4. Arkansas Frost

Arkansas Frost Heavy Load Member

Aug 2, 2012
    North Little Rock, AR
    A good trainer will try to work around his students because it's a pain having someone under foot when you're trying to decompress. But remember the companies want your trainer to be matched with a student at all times. It's a never ending battle. I say take your extra time an get familiar with the truck. Use the internet and whatever training materials you have and study. You may find out in four days you've come up with some questions that'll surprise your trainer. Good luck.

5. Bandaid

Bandaid Light Load Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Union, Mo
    For a driver with "5 years" of experience, I would guess you could be able to figure out how long 30,000 miles would take....

Anyway... I didnt drive or train for western express (a buddy of mine did train students there)
    -Do you have to have a smoker for a trainer? no... you can take one if they don't have any non smokers at the time if you choose
    -Trainer takes hometime during training? They dont tend to, but if they do it is a short roll thru scenario, and yes you stay in the truck. Most companies don't want the student going to the trainers home, or to leave the truck (after all you need to be fully immersed in the lifestyle)
    -how long does training take? about 6 weeks @ most companies... you can figure roughly 2500-3400 miles each solo week (normally 2-3wks) and 5000- 6000 miles on team weeks.

superpet39 Thanks this.
  6. quitter

quitter Light Load Member

Jan 30, 2012
    San Juan Capistrano, ca
    I decided to give a smoker a try, I figured I could tolerate it --- one of the worst decisions I have ever made. I thought how bad could it be? the smoker would probably smoke a little after meals, maybe when stopped. I am fairly tolerant of stuff, at least I thought I was but turns out the guy that I got teamed with smoked 24/7. One cigarette after another, and he smoked even when he was in the bunk and he should have been sleeping. Worst decision of my life. He also did not need to eat, I lost about 15lbs (which was a good thing) in about 4 weeks --- I think he got nourishment for cigarettes. If you are not a smoker, you would be ahead not to chance it. I did not say a word to the guy about his smoking though, just told him to smoke as he pleased, I was the one that decided to go out with a smoker so I figured I did not have the right to complain.

superpet39 Thanks this.
  7. superpet39

Jan 27, 2013
    Bay Area California
    @ bandaid: your ASSumption wouldn't be accurate for someone that has 5 years LOCAL experience only :smt075.....

but thank you for your input on the other items.

Advice123 Thanks this.
  8. superpet39

Jan 27, 2013
    Bay Area California
    Wish I could thank your post above more than once!

9. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    I would rather stay in the truck than in someone's house. I mean, strange people, possibly with kids, dirty sleeping quarters, just one bathroom, staying up late, can't eat when you want etc etc etc. VS my nice truck, cozy and comfy, a bar next door and steak house across the street !

superpet39 Thanks this.
  10. Bandaid

Bandaid Light Load Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Union, Mo
    wehaveabadass.jpg

Not my fault you haven't asked the company, you are going to work for, basic questions like what your weekly mileage should be as a driver.... maybe you should touch base and ask questions like "how much will I be paid per mile".... have fun @ western express... it sounds like you'll fit in just fine, and in normal fashion get back on here in 3 months talking about how mean they were too you, and how you werent paid, and how you dont get miles.

11. superpet39

Jan 27, 2013
    Bay Area California
    There you go ASSuming again what I have and haven't asked....I much prefer to back up what I'm told by a company with what I hear on here from VETERAN DRIVERS (don't worry hopefully you'll become one one day)...........you see I have realistic expectations on where I'm going, and am planning accordingly: As long as I don't have to wait over a month for a non smoking trainer, and I drive 1000 miles/wk- I'll survive out there........

Most important part FOR ME: isn't pay- it's to keep myself,my csa score, and my MVR clean for the next 9 months, then maybe I can concentrate on being an "experienced driver" like yourself ( LMAO ), but seriously- no need to complain when you have prepared for the worst ;-)

again thanks again for the help earlier, but if you want to be a smarta$$ - wait until the ink is dry on your CDL (the ink is still wet @ a year and a half) and then your "smart" comments will hold more water.

on a side note- since I didn't go to a "training academy" like FFE to get my CDL like you did, ( I taught myself how to drive and had my permit all of 1 week) ....I'm 100% certain that you know things that I don't (logging, Qualcomm use,trip planning, what to do and NOT to do in a truckstop) - so if you wanna add any USEFUL info, I'm all ears.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.