Diff lock vs inter axle lock

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Air Cooled, Jan 13, 2017.

1. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    Drivers use both at the same time when off road. But its a matter of knowing when, where and how properly. But how many drivers will every experience the thrill of a beaver slide in Winter.
    Jack+Nicholson+Nodding.gif

x1Heavy, AModelCat and Lepton1 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Good tip, I'll keep that in mind. Only problem is the old girl had rubber block suspension. It will get air this summer.

Ruthless Thanks this.
  4. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    I'm not a physicist lol

Figure if you have air in all bags the psi is the same in all (assuming one leveling valve).
    Lets say one axle is on a slight bump and therefore momentarily carrying more weight...allowing the wheels on the other axle to spin because they have less resistance. Dumping air takes the suspension component out of the equation n sets the wheels on the ground raw dog.

Won't make a difference if one axle is dick swinging off the ground.

Makes a lot of difference on a 8 bag setup, I'd expect other suspension systems as well.

Try it

Zer0chick, TripleSix and Lepton1 Thank this.
  5. Ruthless

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    Ooof #### that. I ran rubber block down the highway for a while with a bench seat and solid cab- be hard to convince me to ever ride in one of them again. I'm not young n got nobody to impress anymore lol

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  6. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Yeah I went up and down the driveway about 10 times and that alone was enough to make me want to chuck it.

Lepton1 and Ruthless Thank this.
  7. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    10 times!???

You sir, must have a smooth driveway.

Hammer166 Thanks this.
  8. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    More or less. I mainly wanted to try and get into high range with only 300 feet of driveway and no service brakes :biggrin_2559:

Hammer166 and Lepton1 Thank this.
  9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    The only physics I can think about with lowering airbags is to drop that 5th wheel down. Maybe make the trailer nose down towards your tractor shifting weight forward.

It's a wild guess.

10. quatto

quatto Medium Load Member

Mar 9, 2013
    The Bluest State
    [QUOTE=" @Lepton1 ]
    Then I went back and hooked to the trailer and brought it up to position at the pad, with the young driver in the passenger seat. Along the way I explained use of the power divider, differential lock, and why you shouldn't just floor it to get up steep hills off road. He was appreciative.

Better training is needed. [/QUOTE]

Could you recap what you told him here so that we could all benefit from your experience?

Zer0chick Thanks this.
  11. Ruthless

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    Could you recap what you told him here so that we could all benefit from your experience?[/QUOTE]

@quatto i quoted the piece mr @Lepton1 already wrote explaining what the switches do, I would hope the explanation of the "what" would lead to the extrapolation of "why"... However:

If you have a vehicle with 10 wheels, on 6 axle ends; 2 wheels on 1 axle end are the only ones being powered: you don't have to break traction (loose driving surface, spotty slick driving surface) much before you lose momentum. If 4 wheels on 2 axle ends have power, you'll have that much more likelihood of retaining momentum and control. If 8 wheels on 4 axle ends; that much more likely not to break all traction and lose momentum.
    Howsoever: when the rear 8 (assuming tandem axle full lockers) wheels are all turning as one, those front 2 skinny tires will have a lot more resistance when they attempt to change the directional course of the vehicle; as the rear 8 are all driving straight ahead.

Some people learn by book learning, some by doing.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.