Diff lock vs inter axle lock

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Air Cooled, Jan 13, 2017.

1. rzl-dzl

rzl-dzl Medium Load Member

Dec 16, 2011
    100 mile house
    dont need to stop to put inter axle in.

dont need to stop to lock your diifs...just dont be spinning the tires

we're doin off road 0-20% grades everyday, no one is stopping and goin up the hill in the gear you need to crest it, you'd never get anywhere

okiedokie Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Target audience was rookies.

EDIT: I'd rather them walk that load up slow than to stall out in the middle of the hill.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
    Lepton1 and rzl-dzl Thank this.
  4. rzl-dzl

rzl-dzl Medium Load Member

Dec 16, 2011
    100 mile house
    real talk

theres this one hill, i just hit it in 5th, shift to 2over, 20% of the time if i try the in between shifts, ill blow it...so it just do it the retard way, lol

my trainee last week flubbed a shift on said hill and had to back down, lol

Lepton1, Hammer166 and TripleSix Thank this.
  5. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Sadly I didn't get a chance to see the referenced video. The only time I might hug the shoulder on a narrow road when there's no traffic is if the road has a high crown in slick conditions. If I center up on the road the crown can do bad things, like causing my trailer to fall off one way while my tractor is trying to fall off the other way. Better to have some consistency to the side slope.

6. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    Yes and no. I know you run Oklahoma, and those red shale roads out west are a PITA when wet. They ball up the tires so bad that traction is more of suggestion than a force. If you run off the center of those roads, the side loading necessary to stay out of the ditch eats up too much of the available traction, and makes climbing the hills almost impossible. I'm sure some of them have been improved over the years, but many of the county roads north of 14 mile corner (OK 6 and US 283) just weren't traveled by big trucks when wet, unless a dozer was on hand. No one carried tire chains around there back then, and that would have been the only other way to get through.

TripleSix and Lepton1 Thank this.
  7. Lepton1

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    You got that right. Today I had a delivery to a rig Northwest of Kingfisher. With warmer temperatures the ice was gone, but the dirt roads were a challenge to stay out of the ditch. I had a hundred yards struggle trying to get away from the ditch after taking a left turn from one narrow dirt road to another. The dirt looked firm, but just balled up. Tires with lugs quickly became lugless slicks.

Chewy352, not4hire and Hammer166 Thank this.
  8. Lepton1

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Sorry for the grainy picture. Seems as though CRE attempted some "off piste" driving sometime last night. This is eastbound I-40 about mm 139 as you approach OKC.

I saw several wreckers attempting to pull him sideways back to the freeway early this morning. As of 5:30 pm it looks like they gave up on that idea and were pulling him forward... but to where I don't know.

IMG_20170116_172843704_HDR.jpg

Ruthless Thanks this.
  9. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    First thing I said to the wife was "hope they have a dozer to pull him back to the interstate".

if those OK mud roads are anything like ours, the only thing that chains would do for you is to make your rig taller...

Lepton1 and Hammer166 Thank this.
  10. Lepton1

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    I went through this interchange again and saw the tire tracks. It's worse than I thought.

This is the interchange between the John Kilpatrick Turnpike and I-40. I am guessing he was wanting to get on I-40 eastbound, but failed to be in the left lane to merge onto I-40 and was in the right lane to take the cloverleaf to northbound on the JK Turnpike.

He decided to off-road back to I-40 and didn't make it. I saw the drag marks from towing him all the way through the muddy grass to South Sara Road. Must have been a solid day's work to drag him out that way. I would like to know the towing bill for that fiasco. Three tow trucks on hand.

https://goo.gl/maps/RBWKouGnHKQ2

https://goo.gl/maps/rPyq176PtVN2

TripleSix Thanks this.
  11. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    Couple of high track 10 dozers anchored then winched.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.