Difference between dry van and step deck dry van

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by united972, Oct 6, 2021.

1. united972

united972 Light Load Member

May 26, 2016
    Hey guys I was wondering can I haul regular dry van freight on a step deck dry van??

Im trying to figure out what I can and cannot haul?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. andrewsdad

andrewsdad Light Load Member

Jul 18, 2016
    Shouldn't have a problem hauling regular dry van freight. Toughest part is getting the trailer to dock level, either ramps at the shipper/receiver or jacks on the trailer. Never liked heavy loads on the 17" rims though.

4. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Dry van shippers wouldn't load you. They aren't there to accommodate different trailer types. You need to show up with a standard height dry van or they'll send you away. Shippers and receivers don't have ramps laying around to get their forklifts into an odd sized van. Not to mention, how does a forklift get over the steps inside of the van? Those vans are made for moving furniture and household goods loaded by hand.

Brettj3876 Thanks this.
  5. andrewsdad

andrewsdad Light Load Member

Jul 18, 2016
    Surprisingly lots of those trailers used for auto parts with large racks and light parts. Bumpers, fuel tanks, fuel lines etc.

kylefitzy Thanks this.
  6. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Don't forget food products.

I knew a family owned snack food company that used single step single axle vans and 6 wheel tractors [class 7] because chips and other snacks would fill that space long before it ever got heavy enough and the food distributors were good with it.

andrewsdad Thanks this.
  7. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Well said

SteveScott Thanks this.
  8. DirtyBob

DirtyBob Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Indiana
    Hauled chips in them for quite a bit. Very few shippers would work with us pulling those trailers. It's not the kind of thing you do broker work with. You're negotiating contracts with those type of trailers. That's a company that has a net revenue in the billions with way more resources than most have to try and track those loads down.

Brettj3876, united972 and SteveScott Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.