Difference between UPS Freight and Regular?

Discussion in 'UPS/UPSF' started by Mobious212, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Mobious212

Mobious212 Bobtail Member

Nov 5, 2015
    Can someone just explain the differences between the two. From what i can gather the two operate very differently. i know this has been somewhat answered in the threads but they are pretty old and I'm looking for a current answer. Just a little background I'm a recent CDL grad with no experience.

LtlAnonymous Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Ups freight is the old Overnight Express. Essentially they are a pallet ltl instead of a parcel ltl.

LtlAnonymous and motocross25 Thank this.
  4. Bigblk

Bigblk Bobtail Member

Feb 24, 2011
    midwest
    About 10/hr at top rate.

5. Radman

Radman Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Regular UPS is harder to get into also. Most want you to start on the dock part time and kinda earn your stripes. Even if you got a CDL. They hire off the streets as a driver but it’s not easy to get into. When they hire off the streets they usually only take a very experienced driver from an LTL sector. They hired a buddy of mine who been trucking for 20 years in LTL he’s in his 40’s and came from ODFL. It’s easier to start off from ups freight then to try to get in to regular ups.

Ups freight will take experienced drivers off the streets full time all the time.

Ups regular is premium pay but UPSF topped out pays one of the top in the industry.

UPS regular isn’t really LTL it’s parcel. It’s it’s own program.

UPSF is LTL.

JOHNQPUBLIC and McUzi Thank this.
  6. Haystak88

Haystak88 Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2012
    FL
    ...but it gets even more confusing. UPS Freight and UPS Freight (OTR/Truckload) are different from each other as well. For instance, (OTR/Truckload) is not union, but the regular Freight is. I hear benefits and such are different as well.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.