Differences between American and European trucks

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by snowbird_89, Dec 28, 2010.

1. snowbird_89

snowbird_89 Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I have learned that European trucks have synchronized transmissions and they have disc brakes instead of drum brakes. I also hear they are much quieter. :biggrin_25525:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. brycey1

brycey1 Light Load Member

Nov 19, 2007
    palm bay , florida
    i drove some volvo and Mercedes european trucks in iraq, and yes the transmissions were like driving a car, 8 speed, they are cabovers, i really liked them, however much more room in the conventionals over here, i felt safer in the international conv that were up-armored at the factory before being shipped out to Iraq. maybe off topic but here are some pics of the trucks we used in Iraq. merc/international//freightliner/am general

Attached Files:

zentrucking Thanks this.
  4. black_dog106

black_dog106 Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2009
    MA
    Hi Bryce: Thanks for the pics. How are the military Internationals speced? That CCC truck looks like quite a beast?
    And THANK YOU for your military service!!!:biggrin_25514:

5. brycey1

brycey1 Light Load Member

Nov 19, 2007
    palm bay , florida
    They were auto transmissions with a clutch, interior much the same as here, fully armored including the floor, very heavy, they are being left over there as they are to heavy for use anywhere else, they were slow and needed about twice the distance to turn around compared to other conv trucks, i was told they cost $500k each, i was a civilian contractor for the US Army

Attached Files:

6. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    Disk brakes are available with EBS. So truck brakes better then car. But EBS is expencive toy with expencive maitanace.

Full synchro tranny require depress clutch pedal every time you shift and tha's why european trucks are with clutch servos so clutch pedal is easier to press then on car.

Eaton, ZF make synchro transmissions for EU market.

7. 98989

98989 Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2008
    that mercedes(mp2) was pretty new truck for that time do you know are they sold? and for how much and if i am correct they are 540hp?

8. Pablo-UA

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    MP-II is available with semi-auto (with clutch pedal) ore Auto (gas and brake pedals).

MP-II is a nice truck. Realy good. But it is discontinued now. They Offer MP-III.

MP-II brakes are with EBS, ESP, Hill start assist and many modern things. Suspention is electronically controlled, integarated in grund modul and rear modul (HM)... it is really high-tech truck

9. 98989

98989 Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2008
    it seems that this one from image has parabolic suspension....

and did you ever seen mp2 with manual gearbox it has same gear knob as NG from 1976( not as ng from 1973) and also "slapping" on range change

EDIT:
    i have seen only 2of them one 1854 4x2 grain tipper .....and one 2641 6x4 as construction tipper

10. Pablo-UA

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    there is a gravel company near Lugansk, they operate MP2 with parabolic suspention and manual transmissions with hydraulic shifting control filled with brake fluid as I remember. The problem is that there is no room for mechanical shifter under the hood becouse V designed engine is wide, bul not tall. and floor in MP-II cabine is flat. That's why mechanical shifting controll may be used on Axor with six in line engine.

11. Pablo-UA

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    in Europe we operate 45' trailers, but I've never seen shorter 48' US trailer. Is it true that shorter semitrailers are not legal in the USA?

in Europe lenth limit is from trucktor bumper to trailer tail, that's why European trucks are usually of COE design.

Lenth limit in germany is over 20 m, in ex-USSR - 20 m, but in Poland, Hungary, and other countries of Eastern Europe - 16.5 m and we cant operate US trucks in Europe, exept of trucking to Finland.

Comparing US and EU trucks I can say it is easy to operate US trailer with European trucktor ore tow European trailer with US trucktor. For driver lenth is not so notisable. Yeah, weight distribution differ but not so important.

EU trucks are with 24V electric systems. To change bulbs in trailers is really easy, but if we use ABS ore EBS equipped trailer with US trucktor we have to install voltage doublers. Not expencive thing fortunatly!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.