Different places, New Highways

Discussion in 'Truckers' Photo Shack | Art Gallery' started by Wildkat, May 1, 2008.

1. Wildkat

Wildkat <strong>Arctic Mistress</strong>

Feb 24, 2008
    Somewhere North of 60
    Most welcome 1nonly. Driving the Ice Roads is really much safer than the highways, for one the speeds are WAY slower...15 mph, just takes forever to get anywhere! :biggrin_25519::biggrin_25519:

As far as skill...well so long as you can stand the NOISE & you can put your truck in gear you can drive on it. The ice groans and crackles, cause it flexes as you drive over it...if it DOESN'T...well you better be lookin' for your door handle...cause you'll be goin swimmin in very icy water!

I don't know about Alaska...I've never been there, I run in the Canadian Arctic...pretty primitive conditions compared to down south, but I love the wild isolation of the far North.

As I have stated before, I don't know if I could handle some of the things you guys deal with from day to day, especially the big cities, we just don't have those up here. Where I go a big place is 10,000 people!

When I used to run stateside places like Chicago scared the daylights out of me!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AfterShock

AfterShock Road Train Member

Sep 19, 2007
    Inland Empire, California
    When I first read those thangs, I was beginnin' to wonder about your sanity.
    However, after readin' your last sentence, I realized
    you're pretty normal. :yes2557: :biggrin_25525:

Places like Chicago, Los Angeles and The Big Apple, scare more than the daylights outta me, too. :biggrin_2555: :biggrin_2551:

4. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007

I made that drive a year ago. I am glad to see that they got the bridge done. It was 1 lane with jersey walls on both sides if it is the one west of Whitehorse. Looks like it.

5. Wildkat

Feb 24, 2008
    Somewhere North of 60
    Nope that one is one of many,if I remember this one is by Muncho Lake....out on the old road still, but I know the one you are talking about...they're still working on it....like everything else in the Territories takes them FOREVER to get anything done! :biggrin_25520::biggrin_25520::biggrin_25520:

6. PappyGT13

PappyGT13 Light Load Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Port Aransas,Texas
    Wildkat, thank you for posting all these wonderful photos. My old computer crashed so I lost all the pictures I had collected.Lucky for me I knew where to find some of the ones I lost thanks to all the nice people on here.They make a great screensaver & wallpaper.I get to see a lot of places I know I'm never going to in person.:biggrin_25517::biggrin_25519::yes2557:

7. Cerberus

Cerberus Medium Load Member

Jun 6, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    i have always wanted to go to alaska and now after seeing those pictures i think i am gonna have to spend $100 for a plane ticket and go.

thanks for posting the pictures wildcat

8. Wildkat

Feb 24, 2008
    Somewhere North of 60
    Most welcome Pappy...If you look a page or 2 back I posted a link to an album I created, feel free to check it out, beware tho, there
    s almost 300 pictures there. :biggrin_25525::biggrin_25525:

PappyGT13 Thanks this.
  9. Wildkat

Feb 24, 2008
    Somewhere North of 60
    Most welcome Jack. Just remember winter comes early in these parts, often as early as September, & that can be pretty shocking to those who are not used to it!

10. 1nonly

1nonly tease-y-ness

Jul 2, 2008
    The burning sands of the SW
    Oops! my bad. I thought Whitehorse was in Alaska.

And all this time I've been telling people that trucking has improved my geography skills! Guess I'll have to stop saying that.

11. Wildkat

Feb 24, 2008
    Somewhere North of 60
    Getting close...BUT I don't think the Yukon would like their capital city moved to Alaska...tho it's only about 60 miles to Alaska from there! :biggrin_25525::biggrin_25525:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.