Different types of diesel

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by TravR1, Feb 10, 2020.

1. LoboSolo

LoboSolo Heavy Load Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Highway 20
    If the DOT catches you with red diesel in your tractors fuel tanks, it's a $10,000 fine in these parts (upper midwest). They occasionally dip tanks at truck checks. A little red fuel takes a loong time to get out of your tanks.

Cabinover101 and TravR1 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

TravR1 Thanks this.
  4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Should be. Modern off road diesel engines run the same emission systems as on road nowadays.

Bean Jr. and PE_T Thank this.
  5. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    When you see those pumps that say Reefer fuel on the screen all it does is separate the amount of fuel put in the trailer. The tax is still collected (I believe) but you get a credit back when you file your ifta quarterly.....there is no red dye in those pumps......

There is red dye in diesel but 95% of the truck stops don’t have it. It would be clearly marked off road only......

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  6. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    Yeah man, I wasn't even considering it. I was just wondering for education and me not sounding stupid. I read they were different colors and wondered if they were different, couldn't be mixed, etc.

7. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    Do you know why they don't make it with a dye? If you are required to pay a tax for diesel used in your tractor why would they not dye it.

That is more close to what I have seen pumping at most places. I haven't noticed any red diesel, just a green, yellowish tink. And they all smell the same.

8. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    The dye is put in when the tanker truck loads at the oil terminal.......

Once it’s put in they can’t take it out... that’s why..

Hulld, Cabinover101 and TravR1 Thank this.
  9. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    Do you know if diesel treated for very cold climates has a different tint than untreated diesel? I have wondered because I have noticed some diesel has a strong tint, and other diesel has almost a clear color. Also it seemed some diesel smelled stronger than others.

PE_T Thanks this.
  10. Ridlingdj

Ridlingdj Medium Load Member

Dec 12, 2018

Acutely I have talked to a man from Europe that claimed to have a die to add back to the fuel to change the color back from red but I dont have the balls to try it if you go to far or not far enough I would hate to see the world of hurt the government would put on you

11. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Let me guess..... Eastern European ?

Bean Jr. and HoneyBadger67 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.