Dillards

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Mike2633, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    Hi guys,
    I have a question about Dillards of all the companies out there in the world.
    To me Dillards runs kind of an odd fleet I guess, any of you guys ever see there trucks? Older Kenworths single screw and they always it seems to me are pulling doubles.

Do you guys know why Dillards runs doubles over just a 48' or 53'?

There must be a reason for it.
    http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/jr/2012/12-16/img_0913.jpg

Just wondering what any of you guys know about Dillard's private fleet, they came to mind this morning because at about 3:30am this morning I was rolling down I-271 North and I saw a set of Dillard's pups on the other side on I-271 South.

Shaggy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Probably are using pups because they are going to two different destinations.

Shaggy, browndawg and Mike2633 Thank this.
  4. Pintlehook

Pintlehook Road Train Member

May 2, 2013
    3 more feet of cargo space in pups vs. A 53' trailer. I don't know this for sure, but I'm guessing those trailers are packed nose to tail with merchandise.

Drivers could also maneuver the single pups a little easier for deliveries (after they break them), but I doubt the company takes the drivers ease of delivery in to consideration. Lol

intrepidor, Shaggy and Mike2633 Thank this.
  5. lagbrosdetmi

lagbrosdetmi Box Monkey

Jul 1, 2014
    Detroit
    I see von maur sets around here too and was always intrigued. Pulled by full size sleepers too

Shaggy, browndawg and Mike2633 Thank this.
  6. browndawg

browndawg Medium Load Member

Dec 20, 2013
    Rock Island, IL
    I used to drive for Von-Muar. The reason we pulled doubles is so we could drop one trailer at each store at night so the stores could unload first thing in the morning. Also they need a trailer there all the time as they often trade inventory with other stores. I was told they do this for the customer, say Columbus mall does not have a certain sweater mrs Johnson wants but Minneapolis does, well Minneapolis sends it out on there trailer where it goes back to the D.C. in Davenport IA, Then the next day goes out on the trailer to Columbus. Also this was one of the better paying jobs I had I was at 26.00 hr when I left and I was only there 2 yrs, I imagine dilliards runs this way. Also Von-Muar used to have single axle sleeper cabs but they went to tandems per driver request and resale as they trade there Volvos every 3 yrs

7. KANSAS TRANSIT

KANSAS TRANSIT Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.
    The first "group" of trucks I bought were from DFWCC that is Dillards transportation arm, they were some 98 KW T2 with M11's and single axle.

I happened to talk to a driver or two of theirs along the way when they recognized the tractors, mostly I was told they cube out long before they weigh out, so that is the reason for the doubles, that and as noted before dropping at two different locations.

Those trucks were 370hp had super 10's in them with airplane gears (that's what we called them back then) they were running 285's on 22.5 rubber, those trucks when driven sensibly would get 9 mpg.

Pretty much way ahead of their time in respect to fuel mileage.

OldeSkool, Mike2633 and Shaggy Thank this.
  8. Shaggy

Shaggy Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2006
    FIGMO
    Was AS.Sume swapping ( trading ) of stores inventory being a private fleet.
    I think your spot on. Not much about dillards online ( internet and TTR ) about logistics to make a conclusion.

Thanks browndawg

Mike2633 and browndawg Thank this.
  9. JB82

JB82 Bobtail Member

Mar 27, 2018
    Anyone has a recent review about this company ? Pay , work stability ?
    Thanks!
    Im going for an interview in salisbury NC

10. Mike2633

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    @DrummingTrucker works for Fort Worth Carrier Corp we just had a fairly extensive conversation about Dillard's. I'll see if I can find the thread for you.

11. Mike2633

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    Can some one explain this one?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.