Direct customer

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Ed james, May 21, 2023.

1. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    One of the larger local companies started with the new owner and his truck parked in front of a local shipper. He’d let them know he was there, and when an order came in, since he was already there……. Guess who got the load?
    30 years later, there’s over 100 trucks, and they don’t do much for that plant anymore, relatively speaking.
    Is it risky? Not as risky as running leftover loads off a board.

InTooDeep and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. fortycalglock

fortycalglock Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    If you have one truck, and can find one customer to keep you busy, do it. Sure you’re putting all your eggs in one basket, but you always have the load board market to fall back on if that goes away. Never overextend yourself as a one truck guy more than the worst load board market can support. If your freight is just outbound, your next goal is to get inbound freight. This can be difficult if your outbound freight goes all over the place.
    Your great freight can dry up anytime. Last year I had a direct customer that paid great on S FL to Baltimore almost weekly. I stopped getting tenders before Thanksgiving. They stopped using the FL supplier. I still get tenders for outbound MD, but we are rarely up there.

InTooDeep and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  4. InTooDeep

InTooDeep Donner party survivor

Jan 17, 2016
    Carmichael CA
    I haul for 1 direct customer. It has been very good for me over the last 4 years. Got close to loosing it during stupid lock down but fortunately we worked out a different plan. Like said before nothing is permanent and anything can end tomorrow always have a backup plan

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.