disapointed in western star

Discussion in 'Western Star Forum' started by alltlzrd, Jan 1, 2012.

1. alltlzrd

alltlzrd Bobtail Member

Apr 10, 2009
    ramona ks
    i've gotten into a 2012 4964 glider.after owning 6 peterbilts this star is shoddy & cheap.the fit & quality of the interior is nowhere near that of a paccar product. i thought from their ads advertising this as a quality brand. it took about 3 months to get answers from the factory if they could even build it.western star dealers carry a very limited supply of parts and are non-responsive. if you're unfortunate enough to have to go to a combined freightliner-western star dealership you're treated worse.the only good thing about this truck is the drivetrain.

jsnell and Oldironfan Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MrEvgyrt

MrEvgyrt Bobtail Member

Mar 9, 2011
    odessa,wa
    Amen. After my 08 is worn out i'm trying something different. Very disappointed in overall quality and followup on warranty issues.

4. 217flatbedr

217flatbedr Light Load Member

Jan 20, 2012
    Quite the opposite experience here. I've had a W9, 379 and a 387. Now I have a 2012 4900EX with Detroit power. Love the truck! It's the quietest truck I've had. The room is amazing (I have the 82" stand up sleeper). The only complaint I have is the Detroit ain't no Cat. I've got the 560/1850 motor. Dealer support has been great so far.

5. black_dog106

black_dog106 Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2009
    MA
    Had an '87 (a great truck) and a '97 Star. My biggest complaint with them is the wiring sucks. As i said, the '87 is probably the best "allround" truck i have been in. Not alot of room, but dont live in it. The '97 has the larger cab and the room is nice.
    Freightliner bought Star around '00. Not being a freightliner fan, i hopefully will not be in another Star?

6. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    You just need to find a dealer who deals with WS more. I'm lucky and the dealer near me deals mainly with them since they are a very popular truck around here. US Steel only buys WS trucks along with Mittal and a lot of the guys running coils. Also Michigan had a HIGE number of them on the roads.

That being said, I stopped at a dealer in Dubuque and the guy looked at me dumbfounded when I asked for parts. So it's just dependabt on where you buy them.

Why not just use the dealer who put your glider together or did you buy it from somewhere far away??

7. poppapump1332

poppapump1332 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2010
    birdsboro,pa
    I had a 96 western star good quality truck loved that truck problem is freightliner took over and the quality went downhill

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  8. Starline

Starline Medium Load Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Middle Tn
    There is good and bad in all makes and models, even Pete's....
    Volvo quality has really gone down hill the past couple yrs, trucks always in the shop, ect...

BTW, it was 2002 is when Freightliner took over and moved the plant across the border.
    I have been very lucky with my 2001 model. I really don't have any complaints except that I admit they lost their minds with some OEM part prices.
    As a whole, I've had a 1/4 of the issues with this truck as I had with my 1st truck I bought, a T600

I truly believe that all these mfg are moving too fast, making too many changes and not perfecting on the changes they already made. It seems like every yr they've made a body change or added a bunch of gadgets to the truck that drive prices up and quality down.

9. Baldeagle4me

Baldeagle4me Bobtail Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Bought the 5700XE...560/1850...go-torque...great drive train...good service across Canada so far...but cosmetically the thing has all kinds of issues..from Windows...water leaks..visor bolts falling inwards and hanging from chassis..both seats hot all year round..software was never updated after buying ending up limping about 200kms at 80kms..all kinds of issues related to the Emission boxes...burnt a few of them until disabled...there's more

dustinbrock Thanks this.
  10. dustinbrock

dustinbrock Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2012
    saskatoon,sk
    Hate to bring back such a old thread but I have a very similar experience. I bought a brand new 5700xe and now have 50,000 miles on it and it's had over 20 things fixed on it already, a small things, nothing that out me in the side of the road but I can honestly say the fit and finish of these things is bad.

jsnell Thanks this.
  11. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    What all have you had to fix?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.