Disc Brake Conversion??

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by areelius, Nov 5, 2015.

1. areelius

areelius Light Load Member

Nov 9, 2012
    Temecula Ca
    Have any owner operators converted an older tractor or trailer to disc brakes? I am curious what this would cost.
    I have a 2000 Freightliner classic and the brakes are not good enough for me. I know the newer drum brakes are better, but I would much prefer discs. I am really interested most in a panic stop situation.
    Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PO Stoner

PO Stoner Light Load Member

Jul 6, 2015
    I have no idea what it costs to convert but, I can say I love my disc brakes. We have 2 trucks at my store, 1 with and 1 without. Weirdly, my 2013 has disks and the 2014 has drums. I don't drive the new truck unless mine is stuck in the shop because I hate it's lack of stopping power. If it's possible and cost effective to convert, I'd like to know since I'm getting ready to buy my own truck.

4. areelius

areelius Light Load Member

Nov 9, 2012
    Temecula Ca
    Also discs are much less likely to be problematic at inspections since they don't have the cam action and all the play involved. Just a FAR superior design as they are used every where EXCEPT where it makes the most sense. ( Class 8 trucks)

5. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Search the garage section. Someone was asking about this a year or so ago and it was a very expensive conversion and they chose not to. Things might have changed though or at least will as the years go by and discs become more common.

6. DaveLV

DaveLV Light Load Member

Sep 18, 2015
    If you have Eaton axles no disc conversion available. If you have meritor axles you will need backing plates, calipers, discs, hubs, air lines, bearings and possibly axles depending on length required. Just about everything that mounts to the wheel end and out. Also if you have ABS you need to make sure the tone wheel is the same. As for the steer axle you will have to replace the front axle to get the right one for the spindles then backing plates, calipers, discs, air lines, hubs with bearing seals etc. Bad thing about the disc breaks is if you don't know how to adjust them OE have someone that doesn't you will go thru a bunch of shear pins until you learn. Best thing about them is you can change pads in about 2 minutes with the wheels off. Cost for conversion with new parts is ballpark around $8400. Labor is on top. The rear backing plates may require modification where they mount to axle. Depends on what axle you have. Labor is how fast you can spin your wrench or about 17-20 hours at a dealership. You will also need alignment since the front axle is replaced. You can bet 10 grand or so might get you close but no promises.

7. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
  8. DaveLV

DaveLV Light Load Member

Sep 18, 2015
    If you know about the first time disc brakes were introduced on class 8 trucks then you know it was a failure. Disc brakes have been in Europe for about 10 years now. But up until 2012 had failed to meet DOT and FMCSA guidelines on trick stopping distances. In 2014 the guidelines were again modified to a shorter distance and they again had to be redesigned. They meet the criteria but barely. The drum brakes now use shoes with a harder lining to achieve shorter stopping distances and actually out perform disc brakes by 12-13%. The harder linings are the reason you hear a lot of the newer trucks brakes squealing. Nothing Wong with them just harder linings

9. DaveLV

DaveLV Light Load Member

Sep 18, 2015
    Also the current production disc brakes have already had 2 safety recalls. One for spider plater mounting bolts the other for caliper guide pins breakage

10. damutt

damutt Road Train Member

May 6, 2013
    that dont sound like its too bad, 10 for the whole kit and caboodle,.might be worth it in a few years

11. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    Something to ponder:

If disc brakes were indeed the best for stopping heavy vehicles, why then would school buses still be equipped with brake drums? I'm sure there have been millions spent on researching which is better and drum brakes are still the norm.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.