Disc brakes

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by dclerici1, Dec 7, 2016.

1. MrEd

MrEd Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Winfred, SD
    I have noticed, for what its worth, that disc brakes seem dirtier than drums. When at the truck wash, a lot more black nasty stuff seems to wash out from behind the rims than I remember with drums. But otherwise, they work better.

dclerici1 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MrEd

MrEd Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Winfred, SD
    I just got a message on my peoplenet from our maintenance director. Air line anti freeze should not be used in units with disc brakes. The alcohol in air line antifreeze will damage the piston seals and other components. There are stickers on our trailers from the manufacturers to that effect as well.

dclerici1, daf105paccar and x1Heavy Thank this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    What about dissipating thermal heat in those with no jakebrake and applied continuously all the way down?

dclerici1 Thanks this.
  5. snowman_w900

snowman_w900 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Look at race cars. You dont see any drum breaks.

Id say a rotor could disapate heat as well if not better due to cooling fins. Plus, give it time. Someone will come up with drilled or slotted rotors.

6. Sublime

Sublime Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Twin Cities, MN
    Disc wins. Every time.

7. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I appreciate the answers. But Im trying to be just a little hardheaded and drill down, is there thermal data to show that these disc brakes eliminate the heating faster than drum brakes do?

Also do the discs ever glaze?

I really appreciate your support of Discs but with me, I cannot accept discs unless it is explained that in extended mountain braking they will outperform drum brakes to where the lining does not glaze nor the pads suffer excessive loss.

dclerici1 Thanks this.
  8. Sublime

Sublime Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Twin Cities, MN
    http://www.foundationbrakes.com/media/documents/airdiscbrakes/overviewbrochure.pdf

9. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    11,000 feet to 5500 in 8 miles That is more than sufficient.

What gets me is the 200 foot stopping distance claim, I take it this is with or without ABS?

Either way that is going to impose a strain on the palletized freight, I have made what I considered to be pretty short stops and it would shake the freight down.

200 foot, that's going to save lives most certainly, turn a smash situation pending into something you might be able to work around.

Here is another idea.

If one rotor fits inside one wheel for the steers, why not install TWO rotors inside the trailer and drive duals? that way, one rotor set can be used as a primary and the other set will activate when and if the primary rotor has failed. It would be few more pounds of extra weight but provide an additional assurance.

17 inch Bendix rotors are huge. If they could slot them or drill them to remove x amount of metal they could actually thicken the rotors themselves to maintain original weight and mass. That will be a better defense against warpage and thermal situations.

I like them more. Thank you everyone.

dclerici1 Thanks this.
  10. johndeere4020

johndeere4020 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Ohio
    Think about that a little more.

11. sealevel

sealevel Road Train Member

May 31, 2012
    U.S. 41
    I believe the only reason the industry seems to shy away from disc brakes is the simple cost of updating trailers since so many operations are drop and hook. The biggest problem appears to be when the tractor is disc brake equipped and trailer drum, the tractor is by far out braking the trailer which creates less than ideal conditions on slick roads. A one truck and trailer o/o it would probably be some of the best money spent.

dclerici1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.