Disc brakes

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by dclerici1, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Sublime

Sublime Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Twin Cities, MN
    We've only had disc-equipped tractors for two years but so far there haven't been ANY adverse operational differences with the drum-equipped trailers they pull. If we didn't tell the drivers what they have they wouldn't know the difference other than they know it stops better. Hauling mail we run in all conditions. Disc tractor/drum trailer has not made any difference in how they react on less-than-ideal surface conditions.

dclerici1, johndeere4020 and sealevel Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    After careful thought inertia and mass goes forward in braking. Its good the tractor is taking in slack from the trailer. As long the trailer contributes SOME braking all is well. Remember all braking is a form of drag imposed on the wheels.

It's not so good when you find the angles off enough to trigger a jackknife when brakes are improperly applied where they would ought not to have been applied in curves etc in certain conditons, that trailer will come around anyway.

Retrofitting would be expensive, best just to sell off the old trailer, sink the funds into a disc trailer new.

Regarding the two rotor idea within a dual wheel... I like it. however I think there might be issues with weight.

sealevel Thanks this.
  4. Sublime

Sublime Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Twin Cities, MN
    I remember the arguments WAY back in the day where guys were worried about having to have front brakes. LOL!

5. sealevel

sealevel Road Train Member

May 31, 2012
    U.S. 41
    Not going to argue with you on discs due to your experience and my lack there of. But front brakes are nice. I do have experience in this. So are spring brakes on trailers.

Bean Jr. and AModelCat Thank this.
  6. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Hey x1, I can understand your questions, just like years ago, nobody trusted air ride, or electronic throttles, or anything new ( except tubeless tires) was always a source of discussion. I'm not sure drum brake units can be retrofitted with disc's, it would seem a big job, and the fact is, drum brakes have been working for 100 years, why change? ( and there's probably warehouses full of them) I had a Saturn that was the 1st car I had with 4 wheel disc brakes, and I felt the difference immediately. I guess I didn't follow why you would still defend drum brakes, or even question if disc's are better. Like cars, soon it will be the standard of the industry, like air ride and electronic throttles.

dclerici1 Thanks this.
  7. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    As someone who has used disks for a long time the best advice i can give is to read the service manual.
    You can find them online.
    Or go to youtube,there is a clip by a bendix tech.

dclerici1 Thanks this.
  8. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    So has anyone actually know the cost to go from drum to disc?

9. Rontonio

Rontonio Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2009
    On my trailer, if I remember correctly, about 12k , but that was for 7 axles worth.

dclerici1, sealevel and johndeere4020 Thank this.
  10. sealevel

sealevel Road Train Member

May 31, 2012
    U.S. 41
    Did you find it to be worthwhile to upgrade your trailer? This is the question I'm dying to know.

11. Rontonio

Rontonio Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2009
    Yes

There were 2 options that were not specifically required but I felt were necessary and don't regret the money spent

Disc brakes and tire inflation- i only own one trailer at a time and would never order a new without both going forward.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.