Disqualification in GA

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Niki2020, Jul 8, 2021.

1. Niki2020

Niki2020 Bobtail Member

Jul 6, 2021
    Hello,

I need to know how to lift this disqualification. I was changing insurance and got hit with a suspended license. Im disqualified for a whole year! I find that sooo backwards. Please any help is helpful.

I have went back in front of the Judge to see if he can lift it. He said he doesn't want any more problems with DDS.
    I went to DDS and they can't help at all.
    Everyone keeps telling me there is a way to lift it. I just don't know how.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dibstr

dibstr Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Mississippi
    And the rest of the story is?

Kyle G. Thanks this.
  4. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013
    You let your liability insurance lapse? In Georgia, that's a fine to the vehicle owner, not a driver's license suspension. Were you caught driving without insurance? That would explain it.

Anyway you should be asking a lawyer about this.

5. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013
    Well I take it back. I just checked and they do suspend you license if your insurance companies notifies the state that your insurance has lapsed. That doesn't make sense. What if you have more than one car? What if more than one person drives the car in question? Liability insurance is suppose to follow the vehicle, not the driver.

Laws and sausages.

6. dibstr

dibstr Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Mississippi
    They do but not for a year.

7. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Have your new insurance company back date the filing

baha and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  8. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    This may not be the 1st time you have had a DL. sup. for no insur. the 1st. time is 60 days and goes up after that? In GA. you must put your lic. plate on hold when or better the day before your Insurance is stoped for any reason, then the day you get new Insurance. or get renewed you may go to the office and turn tag back on, one day without Insurance. will make them send a letter mo. later telling you your DL. will be susp. I got one 4 mo. after I had changed co. with my own IRP. tag and it took a lot of work to get it fixed? Yes my co. sent a form to state back dating the pol. 1 day that I was their leasing on and thought that sign all the papers for Insurance. that it was going to be started that day because I was loaded and trucking with their sign on my doors but they did not call it in till next day and that was all it took?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
    BoxCarKidd Thanks this.
  9. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Not sure if it any help but you can Google Roadlaw net. They are free to call and see if they can help solve your problem

10. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    You need to contact a lawyer that has experience dealing with this .

GA does indeed suspend your DL if your auto insurance company notifies the dmv that you’ve dropped your insurance on a particular vehicle and the dmv doesn’t have any record of you selling that vehicle or returning the license plate from that vehicle to the dmv .

A few years ago one out of every three vehicles on the road in Ga were not insured.
    So the state required proof of insurance to get the tag, then everyone just started getting insurance and canceling it after 30 days. So you had the insurance card but no insurance . It got so bad that
    The state then implemented their own list of VIN numbers that had insurance and set up a secure website where insurance companies could list the VINs that were insured . The police have access to this list on the laptop computers that’s now in all the police cars.

but one of the issues with that is if you sell a car and cancell the insurance , the insurance company notifies the state that the VIN is no longer insured, the state software automatically checks to see if that VIN is still actively registered to you, and if so, they suspend your DL because they assume you are driving the vehicle with no insurance . So when you sell a vehicle you have to notify the dmv that it’s been sold , which can be done online , but it’s an extra step that some people forget .

but if it’s just a clerical error ,
    Any decent attorney with DMV experience should be able to get this straightened out and expunged with a letter or two.

if you actually dropped the insurance and kept driving the car and got busted, then that’s gonna be more difficult but Probabaly still doable .

last time I was in traffic court the judge was very easy going and was cutting people slack left and right . a lot of of just depends on the judge .
    so you need an attorney to handle it .

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.