disqualification

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Alhb54, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Alhb54

Alhb54 Bobtail Member

Apr 16, 2017
    I could very well be jumping the gun here, but would rather get a jump on things before they come. A abnormal blood and urine test has prompt my doctor to send me for a kidney ultrasound. If one has kidney disease, would that be a problem trucking?

AtticusRoad Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Sharky88

Sharky88 Heavy Load Member

Sep 25, 2013
    Absolutely. Kidney disease is a terrible thing. Take care of your health. If you do go in to full kidney failure you will need to have dialysis done several times a week. Good luck and follow your doctors orders.

4. Majestic 670

Majestic 670 Heavy Load Member

May 10, 2016
    Landcruiser
    Trucking is hard on the kidneys too

5. Stormy 69

Stormy 69 Medium Load Member

Jul 1, 2016
    Confusion
    Seems lots of drivers have kidney problems. Just count the pee bombs and take a good wiff walking across ANY truckstop parking lot

AtticusRoad Thanks this.
  6. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    The disease aside ... any issue that might require you to have to stop and pee every hour or so could severely impact your production capability. Saw a cop today hassle a trucker stopped on the shoulder in Nebraska for apparently no good reason other than did not or could not proceed to the next exit.

Not to mention the hazards of stopping on the shoulder outside of emergencies. Another near fatal between 2 trucks on 80 in Illinois Friday morning ... one truck stopped on shoulder Why? Who knows but it's easy to assume several reasons with no good excuse.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
    sevenmph and AtticusRoad Thank this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Medical battles with cancer or failures system inside the body is a big interrupter of trucking. You will have to stop. So you can meet your dialysis appointments. Or something else. If it is Dialysis, then that's a form of life support. It only postpones or buys time until you pass on or get transplanted or actually cleared up such as infection.

It is absolutely a medical disability. If you cannot work because your doctor requires medical treatments for the near future to save your life then you are medically disabled. It is one thing to collect unemployment for only 26 weeks, but quite another to file with social security disability insurance which all workers pay into over life time. Claims take a year and approval for medicare takes two and only 80% of expense. Plus monthly premiums for A,B and D. Essentially half of your future income can be consumed fighting to get healthy for a while.

IF you do nothing, you will get sick. enough to be carted to the ER who will have a diagnosis potentially bad enough to ship you to what they call advanced care, but essentially a warehouse for the dying so they don't suffer. You don't want that to happen to you 2000 miles from home.

I hate to be so what some will call gloom and doom, a large part of what I am in life is being able to fight what I see coming and we are cancer survivors. So there is that.

sevenmph and AtticusRoad Thank this.
  8. AtticusRoad

AtticusRoad Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2016
    Indiana
    I wouldn't stress too much about it. If trucking exacerbated any condition I had, I'd happily accept disqualification. I might put a little thought in a plan B in case trucking is off the table if I where in your shoes, but that's about as much thought as I'd give it until after the test. I wouldn't imagine myself in the dialysis room just yet. The mind is a powerful thing.

sevenmph Thanks this.
  9. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    That is more often than not an "I'm a lazy slob" problem.

AtticusRoad Thanks this.
  10. Aarrons

Aarrons Light Load Member

Jul 13, 2015
    Question can't you produce pee bombs while driving?

11. AtticusRoad

AtticusRoad Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2016
    Indiana
    Well, that's just wrong___.jpg

sevenmph Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.