Disqualifying drugs

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Mototom, May 17, 2019.

1. Mototom

Mototom Road Train Member

May 7, 2019
    I am lucky to be healthy but my buddy was laid off from a 10year career and needs a new job. Here is the kicker tho, he is a big guy and has high blood pressure + anxiety he takes medication to lower his blood pressure and zanax for anxiety. No reason for him to take a dot physical spending 100$ if he won’t pass a drug test.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Eddiec

Eddiec Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Xanax is a no go

4. Mototom

May 7, 2019
    See I couldn’t find a list that lists non approved medications

5. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    Mototom Thanks this.
  6. Mototom

May 7, 2019
    Zanax isn’t a narcotic but I did find out it’s disqualifying unless given a waiver by an MD and then passed by dot doc.
    So in short he needs to be switched to something that doesn’t have side effects like that.
    It’s odd that he can function on it and be fine but be disqualified and if I take a Benadryl then drive I’d get a dui if any cop seen me for a day after.

7. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    There are milder meds for anxiety that may be ok. Paxil is one of them. Have him check with his doc.

shogun Thanks this.
  8. Mototom

May 7, 2019
    That’s what I told him originally but I still try to be helpful. Didn’t want him to get his hopes up then get dealt a low blow.

Edit: I wonder how the fmcsa feels about all the herbal “supplements” sold in truck stops.
    I see it a lot in the smaller truck stops. Kratom Bali Etc both have terrible side effects like the fake pot used to

9. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    yes, i started to type up this..."just becasue it is not a narctoic, doesn;t mean it is still DOT passable"..

then i figured nah, someone else will say it...

guess i should went with my first instinct...

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  10. Tombstone69

Tombstone69 Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2018
    Jersey shore
    Xanax is a benzodiazepine, like Valium, Ativan and other mood enhancing drugs. They are very addictive and very hard to quit. Unlike narcotics, they will kill you if you try to kick them too fast, narcotics only make you wish you were dead. All of it is bad mojo and should be avoided at all cost.

11. Mototom

May 7, 2019
    I’ve never taken anything for anxiety and pain meds short term several years ago. I don’t even take Benadryl I’ll take aspirin for tooth pain Tylenol for fever

Tombstone69 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.